 Local / Australia / 6151
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:55:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Drew writes:
On 21/6/01 5:19 AM, "William R. Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote:

David Drew writes:
On 20/6/01 5:54 AM, "William R Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote:

Actually, this is false.  Space is a vacuum - there is no air, only a
few stray molecules of gas or cosmic dust.  As a result, there is no
friction and thus no need for wings or streamlined shapes on space
craft.  Also, there is very little gravitational pull, so the lifting
power of wings is useless.

Actually, if you're travelling at near-light velocities, the density of the
interstellar medium becomes high enough (especially within solar systems, so
I guess that would be intrastellar medium) that a streamlined shaped would
become essential. Even then, there would be both heavy erosion of whatever
impact-shielding you have, and heavy drag on the ship.

That may be true, but I don't think anyone knows for sure, because we
haven't tried going that fast yet.  My spacecraft follow a very "hard
SF" policy - no FTL travel, no artificial gravity, etc.  But that's
not to say that it's the only way...

We know it's true, since we have our nice and handy fluid mechanics
calculations. The drag experienced by a vehicle depends on a number of
factors, including surface area, drag coefficient, viscosity and density of
fluid, and the velocity of the vehicle.

Obviously, for low speeds, the drag is near zero, since density is near
zero. But get near to 3*10^8 m/s, and it becomes a whole different story.
There will probably be other effects coming in as an object approaches
relativistic velocities, which we cannot account for, but there are unlikely
to reduce the drag.

Later,
David Drew.

Oh please.  Drag calculations are only approximations for something immersed
in a fluid.  You're not going to get conventional boundary layer effects
when you only bump into a single gas molecule every few meters.  You could
consider molecular impacts as individual retarding impulses, but if you've
got enough power to move your own mass that fast, their net effect on
forward velocity is still going to be negligible.  The only concern is their
net effect on your orientation and course, and that's if you solve the
problem of the actual damage caused by the impacts.

The design may well be streamlined, but in a way to deflect impacts rather
than to smooth the flow of passing fluid.  Wedge-shapes rather than
tear-shapes, since you don't have to worry about drag from a turbulent wake.

I mean, it's hardly rocket science, is it?  Oh, hang on...

Jason J Railton