 Space / 9583
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:33:02 GMT

   Hi!

   Warning!  Warning!  Bibliographical references ahead!  Warning!
   Danger, danger Will Robinson!

In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
In lugnet.space, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.space, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
Perhaps Mister Tito ate some food that he should not have ate before
entering space?

The reason that the International Space Station, or Mir
before that system, do not spin around as a person would expect is that the
giant solar panels also serve as a type of stabilizing mechanism for the
system and if the ISS or Mir do spin in orbit, that is because they are
STATIONARY and do not MOVE through space except in an artificial orbit and
thus the rules of space flight do not apply to these systems because they
are stationary and wings and other similar mechanisms DO help stabilize
structures in outer space from needless spinning in space.  I am sorry,
John, I emphasized what I said that was important and I did not yell at you
but I want you to consider those points before you reply with your next >letter.
Jesse Long

The "wings" on the ISS (or Mir) are not there to help stabilize the station,
they are there to increase the surface area of the solar panels to provide
electrical power to the station. There are other control systems which keep
the station from revolving, which would be a bad thing.

-Duane

For more information on the ISS see: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/

-Duane
Thank you for correcting me, Duane, but I also have those control systems
that will accomplish the same features on my space craft and, as stated many
times before in other posts, the wings are another source of power for the
space craft.

   I've seen you mention that, but I'm wondering what the principle
   is you're employing for wing-generated power.  Usually the
   solutions one sees for power-generation are radial, i.e. scoops
   or ionizing webs, made large to use whatever minimal material
   exists in the ICM (Intercloud Medium).

   You might want to look at a couple books, by the way, that you
   (or any .space builder!) might find interesting and a source of
   ideas:

   -Gregory Matloff and Eugene Mallove, _The Starflight Handbook_
    (New York: Wiley, 1989) -- generally accepted to be the "standard
    reference" on theoretical non-FTL starflight concepts and mechanics
    and may be in a newer edition, but little of what's in there has
    changed in the last 12 years; and

   -Adrian Berry, _The Giant Leap: Mankind Heads for the Stars_
    (London: Headline, 2000) -- a good source of references and
    a readable general discussion of the problems and possible
    solutions for starflight, including some material on FTL

   If nothing else, they're enjoyable reads, but they've changed
   my thinking on "realistic" starflight.  Pick 'em up if you
   can, they're worth buying just to have around!

   best

   LFB