 Space / 9570
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:45:09 GMT

In lugnet.space, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
In lugnet.space, John Kornhaus writes:
In article <GFIB4D.EE5@lugnet.com>, Jesse Alan Long
<joyous4god2@yahoo.com> wrote:

I also have these wings on my space craft because I want
balance in the atmosphere and I do not want to spin endlessly in space
because without wings, a space craft would spin and spin in space forever
and the only alternative that I know that is possible to counteract the spin
is to use support thrusters on the space craft but these support thrusters
are designed for smaller craft and can not handle the large bulk of larger
space craft (unless there was a pratical way to build larger support thrusters).

Quick, someone alert NASA! How, oh how, will they ever dock with the
ISS when it is spinning away like mad?!

I guess Dennis Tito's reported illness when boarding the station wasn't
due to weightlesness after all...

<snip>
There are exceptions to this rule, such as the space craft of Star Trek
and
the Millennium Falcon of the Star Wars Trilogy and other such space
craft of
that nature because they are round and the whole space craft generally
acts
as a giant wing and the fact that their engines are located in a central
point.

Oh, so *that's* why flying saucers are round. ;]

jk

Perhaps Mister Tito ate some food that he should not have ate before
entering space?

The reason that the International Space Station, or Mir
before that system, do not spin around as a person would expect is that the
giant solar panels also serve as a type of stabilizing mechanism for the
system and if the ISS or Mir do spin in orbit, that is because they are
STATIONARY and do not MOVE through space except in an artificial orbit and
thus the rules of space flight do not apply to these systems because they
are stationary and wings and other similar mechanisms DO help stabilize
structures in outer space from needless spinning in space.  I am sorry,
John, I emphasized what I said that was important and I did not yell at you
but I want you to consider those points before you reply with your next >letter.
Jesse Long

The "wings" on the ISS (or Mir) are not there to help stabilize the station,
they are there to increase the surface area of the solar panels to provide
electrical power to the station. There are other control systems which keep
the station from revolving, which would be a bad thing.

-Duane

For more information on the ISS see: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/

-Duane