 Space / 9549
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:59:15 GMT

In article <GFIDuG.L81@lugnet.com>, Joel Kuester
<septenemae@hotmail.com> wrote:

I personally usually don't like to see craft that people have built using
tech from media sources because I am not fond of Star Wars or Star Trek
science.  Of course, I myself have built many Star Wars craft, but I was not
interested in borrowing their technology, I was mostly inspired by their
forms.  I love the way Star Wars craft look, but they are mostly terrible
from a hard science POV.

That's one reason I enjoyed Babylon 5 so much. The science wasn't
perfect (you have to make *some* concessions for the sake of the
story), but at least they made a darn good attempt.

I've found the Jovian Chronicles RPG from Dream Pod 9 to be a good
source of info for those that like a little more science in their
sci-fi. It's not super-hard-core techie stuff, but they do eschew
fantastical elements such as FTL travel for designs based on our
current understanding of physics and logical extensions of real-world
space habitation research.

jk