 Space / 9548
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:40:13 GMT

In article <GFIB4D.EE5@lugnet.com>, Jesse Alan Long
<joyous4god2@yahoo.com> wrote:

I also have these wings on my space craft because I want
balance in the atmosphere and I do not want to spin endlessly in space
because without wings, a space craft would spin and spin in space forever
and the only alternative that I know that is possible to counteract the spin
is to use support thrusters on the space craft but these support thrusters
are designed for smaller craft and can not handle the large bulk of larger
space craft (unless there was a pratical way to build larger support thrusters).

Quick, someone alert NASA! How, oh how, will they ever dock with the
ISS when it is spinning away like mad?!

I guess Dennis Tito's reported illness when boarding the station wasn't
due to weightlesness after all...

<snip>
There are exceptions to this rule, such as the space craft of Star Trek
and
the Millennium Falcon of the Star Wars Trilogy and other such space
craft of
that nature because they are round and the whole space craft generally
acts
as a giant wing and the fact that their engines are located in a central
point.

Oh, so *that's* why flying saucers are round. ;]

jk