 Local / Australia / 5674
5673  |  5675
Subject:
Sanity Check, Please. (was: Old sets being sold in new guise?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 05:51:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Aaron Coghill writes:
COOL,  is the only word for it.
I know that the front end loader will sell well, as an ebay auction for the
same set did very well, US$150 +. I'm sure the Pirates would also be a great
seller. The other set i'm not sure about, but myself wouldn't mind one of
the service stations. I hope this new release continues and expands for
other select sets, and have a feeling it will be great for the Lego Company.

TLC has reissued a couple of old sets in new packaging and under new set
numbers.
I may have missed something, but isn't it odd they should reissue old >>>sets? And why these sets?
Any Australian Pirate/Technic fans should look up any German contacts they
have and save their pesos.

My two bricks? Some guy in germany was cleaning out a warehouse somewhere
and finds some dozens of boxes of a couple of particular older sets that
didn't sell well (compared to other sets in those years). Atch! he says what
will we do with them? Brighter manager says, oh! let's re-box them so they
look like new sets and send them out  to stores again.

So out they come, then some bright spark on the German forum finds out
('cause he's got an inside contact or something) then someone else makes a
deal to sell them through the forum and everyone is happy.

But... Some complete goose posts to Lugnet and before you can say "old
warehoused stock" theories of lost cities of lego filled entirely with
silver bricks begin to circulate. Then the complaints start that it's not
the "good" sets, it's not <insert theme or train voltage here> and (horror
of horrible horrors!!!) they're not available in the United "Center of the
Universe, everyone else are barbarians" States of America.

*Sigh* <rant about haves and have-nots snipped for brevity>

The upshot of all this? Limited Sets. Limited Availablity. Limited Time.
This is *NOT* the revolution.
James (who is too annoyed to think of a tagline)