 Local / Australia / 4512
Re: bizarre changes to postage stamps due to GST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:36:39 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Mark Harrison writes:
Hi Deidre,

Being an ex stamp collector like yourself, I've wondered what happens when you • use
a postage stamp that was released prior to the introduction of the GST, ie., • there
wasn't any difference between domestic and international stamps then. I've got
sheets of stamps that haven't increased in collectable value and now wonder if • I
can use them for overseas postage?

I guess Aust Post would be within their rights to demand the extra before
they'll deliver it, or make you put 10% more stamps on, though whether they
would or not is another question.

But should you pay GST on the entire amount? I touched on this in an earlier
post - Aust Post is only providing part of the service on international mail (I
assume), so surely the GST should only apply to the Australian portion?

Regards,

ROSCO