 Local / Australia / 4361
Re: bizarre changes to postage stamps due to GST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:38:05 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, David Drew writes:
From: "Kerry Raymond" <kerry@dstc.edu.au>

It is interesting to see that the GST is charged on the purchase of stamps
(i.e. on goods) and not on the payment of service (i.e. on sending the
letter).

Ummm... Aren't these one and the same? The stamp is just a small bit of
sticky paper, and not worth 45 cents. It's just a receipt stating that
you've made payment for the service of delivering that letter.

later,
David Drew

Strange changes I agree but the stamp colecting fraternity reckon its a real
bonus, They now can collect twice the amount of stamps. The international
stamps are also supposed to be a bit of a advertisement for Australia as they
all show Australian landscapes. They are quite good actually, I have had a few
people from overseas comment on them.

Keep on building
Gary
Town BUG