 Local / Australia / 4505
Re: bizarre changes to postage stamps due to GST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:14:51 GMT

Hi Deidre,

Being an ex stamp collector like yourself, I've wondered what happens when you use
a postage stamp that was released prior to the introduction of the GST, ie., there
wasn't any difference between domestic and international stamps then. I've got
sheets of stamps that haven't increased in collectable value and now wonder if I
can use them for overseas postage?

Mark H.

Deidre Rushton Brumby wrote:

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:
Shouldn't this be the other way...since you have paid GST on domestic stamps
already, why would you pay it again to use them for export.
But if you bought International Stamps and used them domestically, then you
would need to add GST worth ?

Yeah, I had to think about that for a bit too but it does make sense (it'll
give you a headache though!).  If postage OS is worth $1, GST free, then if
you put a $1 domestic stamp on, you've actually only paid 90-91 cents for
the postage and around 9c GST, so Aus Post are down 9c.  They've got to pass
on that 9c GST no matter what you do with the domestic stamp.  So, to get
the $1 value required you need to pay $1.10 on domestic stamps, so Aus Post
gets the $1 to carry the letter and the government gets their 10c GST.  Or
you can just buy a $1 International stamp and be done with it (govt gets nil).

Basically, you'd be a fool to put domestic stamps on overseas letters
because it will always cost you 10% more which goes straight to the tax
coffers for no actual benefit provided to anyone (except perhaps to Great
Aunt Hilda who likes to collect used Aust. domestic stamps).

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com