 Local / Australia / 4513
Re: 8880 Pleasure.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.reviews, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:50:29 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
I was disappointed with the chain drive to the engine, as
it occasionally slips, though this can be reduced.

The 8880 is definitely one of the great sets, apart from the chain.

I agree that the chain slips (quite often I find) but my main objection to
the chain is simply my feeling that it should not be there at all.

How many cars really have a chain in them?

Kerry

Personally, I think the 8880 and the Technic Space Shuttle are the best two
LEGO sets of all time. I built my 8880 over 3 years ago - it's on display in
the house to educate all non-Lego visitors and I still can't bear to break
it up.

Onto the chain drive scenario. The backlash generated by such an arrangement
allows a little free movement at the wheels proir to taking the load of the
V8 & 4 speed movement. As the car has been set up for the wheels to drive
the engine this is probably unneccesary but in theory it would ease the
situation if you actally motorised the model.

My neighbour has a Kia Sportage 4X4 (made in Belgium?) which drives all four
wheels permanently - he tells me a chain is used to transfer the drive from
the engine to the centre differential. So far, no binding or slippage has
been experienced!

Regards,

Jon