 Local / Australia / 2570
Re: Mindstorms 2.0 vs 1.5 (was Re: Greetings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:31:44 GMT

"Santosh Bhat" <santosh@student.unsw.edu.au> wrote in message

Well my question is: Can i buy this set on its own? Or am i going to have • to
fork out the additional $200+ to be able to do anything with this?

Hi,
  I haven't actually played with the DDK, so I'm not exactly sure what it's
capabilities are. However, judging by the literature, the DDK has seven
built-in programs, which you can then initiate. Not good.

If you just want to have an R2, or some other robot wandering around, then
I'm sure it's pretty good, but if you want the robot to interact at all with
its environment, ie touch sensors, then you're going to have to update to at
least the Robotics Discovery set (which is the one below the uber-set, the
Robotics Invention System).

The Discovery set has two inputs and two outputs. You can select on the
modules screen from a bunch of different moves and outputs you'd like (ie
which touch_1 is hit, turn motor_1 on). This is vastly more flexible than
the DDK, with much greater options. The Invention system is fully
computer-programmable in a variety of languages, you can store and retrieve
data, and use more types of sensors, even creating your own. An awesome set.

later,
David Drew.

Public key available at
http://www.hydrowash.com.au/david/pubkey.txt