 Local / Australia / 14415
Re: TANKS, TRAINS and General Feedback
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 08:11:33 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, David Stannard wrote:
snipped
our shared interest/hobby the SLTC has
very high standards including 100% stud coverage (no track underlay under our
tracks)

Hello Dave,

We use the underlay mainly to reduce the noise, as we found that the sound of 3
trains each with 2 engines and 10 to 15 carriages at decent speed tended to make
a lot of noise on just the bare wood baseboard, as the track needed to be
screwed down. So we opted for a 3mm sounding proofing under foam, ballast
coloured, seemed to do the trick. 100% coverage is an expensive option which we
could not afford at the time, but it is very impressive when it’s done. Some of
us have considered it but still don't have enough Lego to do it properly. How do
you transport it? Is you track screwed down?

as pointed out by fellow member Steve Dunn, we have also gained a lot of
respect from the AMRA members as to our efforts as well as the awards.

Its pleasing to hear the Sydney Branch of AMRA appreciates your efforts, and you
have awards as well. Something the Brisbane branch of AMRA does not do, we tried
once to enter ourselves into their competition but were informed it was only for
the serious train modellers! We have got awards from other shows we have
attended though, which I suppose must not be so serious. Like yourselves we
don’t do it for the awards but they surely do put the icing on the cake. Well
done!

Unfortunately this year we are not displaying at the Brisbane Show, although we
did intend to, but just ran out of time. We are presently setting up a permanent
Lego layout at the Ipswich Railway Museum. Because we have a permanent layout we
need to consider insurance and public liability, etc. The best way we could
solve that dilemma was to amalgamate with an existing Model Railway Club. We did
approach AMRA in Brisbane (with very serious looks on our faces) but to no
avail. Lucky for us we shopped around and the Ipswich Heritage Model Railway
Club was more than happy to amalgamate with us, Hence the name change, The Lego
Group of the Ipswich Heritage Model Railway Club, big name but small price to
pay and gets the public liability gene off our back. We do now have a very large
layout, something that having a travelling layout was proving to be difficult.
We will have a travelling layout in future, albeit smaller. But when the
permanent layout is up and running and ready to view we will be inviting all
those interested to come and see, but that's still a few months off.

For our club we invested at least $1200.00 in building 12 purpose built tables for our
layouts that feature 2 double deck tables, 4 variable depth tables and 6 regular
tables with folding legs all built by SLTC members far more advanced than Ping
Pong tables that some clubs use.

Yes, it gets expensive when you start doing the sums. As an exercise during the
slow times at a show you should cost the entire layout when it’s at a show,
tables, trains, lego, the lot. You will be surprised at the number you get to
(have a calculator handy though!). We have not insured our layout as yet but its
something we will all have to consider in the future.

It would be interesting to see a few photos of your table design if possible.
Now we have a permanent layout some in our group are wanting to change the table
configuration of the travelling layout we will eventually be building. Your
design might be something they could look at. You never know maybe in the future
we can have a joint SLTC, MLTC, PLTC, and BLTC layout, but the question is, is
there a convention centre in Australia big enough!

Can you email some details of your table design please.

several MOC's produced by SLTC members inclunding 38 class 4-6-2,
Alco 48 Class, GM 81 Class and a 4 car City Rail K set Double Deck EMU.

I would like to see some of these. There is going to be an Australian Model
Train Convention at the Ipswich Railway Workshops in early 2009. We would like
to set up a display of Lego Australian prototype MOC’s and including yours would
be much appreciated. Please email me so we can start to organise it, Pete White
has my email address. The call goes out to anybody else who has an Australian
prototype Lego Train Creation/s, if you would like your creation to be displayed
at the Convention I really would like to hear from you.

Regards Dave SLTC Co-Founder

I would like to finish off by saying there has been some spicy debate, (for use
of a better phrase) recently on Lugnet.loc.au and as much as I chuckle at what I
read, it seems some are getting a bit hot under the collar by what others write.
I like to remind everybody of that famous quote from Mythbusters “I reject your
reality and substitute my own”. I don't want to get into the debate and would
like to clarify that any views expressed on Lugnet.loc.au by the author should
not attributed to any person/s or group/s the author may associate with.

Look forward to seeing those pictures of the Australian Lego Trains and getting
those plans for the train table.

All the Best
Gary Quinlan
President
Brisbane Lego Train Group
Now to be known as
The Lego Group of the QRI Ipswich Heritage Model Railway Club

PS  I know I have to do something about this name!