 Local / Australia / 1232
Re: Soccer sets, thumbs up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:46:00 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
Now I did already post about this last night, but since it doesn't seem to
have shown up anywhere, I'll fire again (and I'll keep <<expletive indicating
dogged commitment deleted>> firing until I hit something ;-)

Maybe it's the shifts, the loc.au posters post in, at night I can see, but
not post, I need to remember to reply the next day.

In lugnet.loc.au, David Low writes:
Maybe you could use redbeard torsos.

Mmmm.  Actually, the Port Block Pirates wear the blue jacket over the red and
white striped undershirt, and white duds.  And while the Pirates haven't yet
registered their colours, I note (for the benefit of the rest of you out there
forming up your teams) that the Pirates have some nasty big pointy cutlasses.

Will your team have an away 'strip' (I believe the Matildas have one).

And are peglegs allowed to play?

Yup, but the oversized studs that the players stand on are too high for pegs,
so peg legs must play with their best peg forward.  The only real downside
with this is that if he gives is a fair roost, he tends to follow through and
end up a bit stooped - maybe that's just extra realism?

Maybe they will bring out a Paralympics approved field.
Or knowing pirates, maybe that should be a Paralytic field.

A few questions:

(1) With the big price reductions, is anyone still interested in doing some
sort of Legoz combined stadium? I'm guessing most people will get some of the
sets, if just for the bricks, but I still think it would be a cool way for us
to own Lego in common. We could donate spare minifigs for spectators, TV • crew,
linesmen, serial pests (who could forget the World Cup qualifier in
Melbourne?) and so on.

I can see a timmy tugging on the crossbar, and maybe an Arctic Kenny getting
squashed when it falls.

At these prices I bought a bus and the field, and have no immediate plans
(although Pia has already explained to me that I'll need a red bus for the
Port Block Privates (red coats).  In any event, I will have plenty of figs
available rent a crowd style, and the local magistrate's court would be only
to pleased to provide referrees and linesmen.

(2) Is an AFL adaption possible? (I'd like to see that!!! (cue -- everyone
groaning)) Maybe we can think of some rules for taking marks, tackling etc.

Don't see it myself.  To begin with, how would you get their shorts up their
crack?  And if you can't do that, Pia tells me its not AFL.  Mind you, we
could model a mean maggot ;-)

They would have to be Technic sized as well.

(3) Do we get the women's conversion kit (hair and heads) that seems to be
have been released in America?

Already got a women's team now (a head here, hair there).  And since in the
Legoverse women are the equal of the men in every way except beauty (in which
way the women are superior, or not obviously, and not that there's anything
wrong with that) its bound to be a decent match, no?

Transgender, Crossgender, all depends on who is on the ends of the Hands of
God.

And I agree with Santosh, the game's a blast.  I reckon my sons and I will be
giving it a punishing, and as a work colleague has already suggested, we might
need one for the toy table at work :-)

I think this is potentially the greatest crossover toy (to adult use), that
Lego has ever created.

pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au>