 LEGOLAND / California / 225
Re: Need a map of LL, CA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:04:38 GMT

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. But I think we can straighten it out.

In lugnet.legoland.california, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.legoland.california, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.legoland.california, Tim Courtney writes:
[...]
I can't wait to go!!  Every LEGO event I attend I find myself counting
down the days, hours, and minutes to!!  They're just so much fun :o)

whoa, whoa, time out...  I hope to see you there, but keep in mind that this
is a wedding, *not* a LEGO event.

It's a LEGO event too, in the sense that it is happening because of LEGO,
LEGO brought us together and has made us all friends. But it's a very
unconventional one.... as you say:

All of us in this forum have LEGO in common, that's for sure. But that alone
couldn't make us friends. And Todd and I aren't getting married because of LEGO.
We're getting married because we love each other and want to make a serious
lifelong commitment. But once we've done so, we intend to celebrate in the most
fun way possible, which (for all of us here) spells L-E-G-O.

That means there aren't going to be MOCs
and K-8's everywhere, tables and time set aside for demoing LDraw, and that
sort of thing.

Just a plain and simple wedding with friends (online &
offline) and family.

I wonder if this wedding will rival other weddings that involve online
communities in the number of different geographies represented?

So far I believe it's just U.S. and Canada.

Maybe there'll a couple places to play with LEGO
somewhere, fine, I don't know, but it's mostly going to be very social.

Now, what you do afterwards (or beforehand, for that matter) is your own
business, but I'd better not hear about any organized events riding coattail
or I'm going to be very personally insulted.

Could you clarify what you mean by that?

I know I can't answer that.

As wedding planner however, I must cry "false alarm!" to any fears.

[...]
Now, it seems to me that since a lot of people will be spending good money
to get out to CA to participate in this, and if the wedding/reception is on
a saturday (http://news.lugnet.com/legoland/california/?n=204), there is
still a day of weekend left, it makes a lot of sense to "organize" something
to do on Sunday rather than just dispersing.

Oh yes! I agree completely. In fact, Todd and I aren't going to disappear on
Sunday. We hope to spend more time with our guests! It'll be a special treat for
us all to be together.

As I've been planning the wedding, I've also been collecting information for
guests which will be shared. I haven't gotten that organized yet because other
matters have been more pressing, but I certainly hope there will be many ways/
places for everyone to enjoy their stay and that everyone will find it easy to
be "on the same page" as to their options in what to do during their stay.

I'm reserving a block, or blocks, of hotel rooms to make people feel comfortable
in what will likely be an unfamiliar place and to ease their getting together in
groups for events during their stay (and of course, to get discounted rates).

This is one of my responsibilities -- and compared to other bride-to-be "jobs"
it's fun -- thinking about the time when the pressure will be off and the sun
will be shinning. :-)

As you say, this whole thing will be unique. Ours is not just "any" destination
wedding. The location is specially significant to those guests who share our
playful enthusiasm for "all things LEGO." (the majority of those in attendance)

I am extremely honored by those in the community willing to take such a trip to
be our guests. Joining us on our special day, witnessing our official union, and
celebrating a new beginning for Todd and me.

Maybe Todd meant that he didn't want people to look at our wedding as a sort of
conference. I can agree with that. There are many facets in view, shining for
attention. We don't want anyone to loose sight of the core purpose of the reply
card. This whole marriage concept is feeling mighty heavy to us right now. But
thankfully, let's all face it, a theme-park wedding can only be so serious..

I imagine there will be a few AFOLs showing up in Carlsbad -- not for our
wedding -- but because they hope to bump into some of the personalities they
know from online. Those folks will inevitably mix with the guests in town,
especially on Sunday (29th) and the first half of Saturday (28th) for talking,
showing, building LEGO.

Unless Todd's brain fell out of his head, I can't imagine him being insulted by
any such thing as that. Getting AFOLs together is what we do for fun. And I
certainly don't intend to leave my guests high and dry for the rest of their
stay. So as far as I know, we should all be looking forward to this.

:-)
-Suz