 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 677
Re: LEGO.new is coming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:42:16 GMT

Um..... Ben, yes the USA is the center of the known Universe.    :-)

If you want any bulk orders before it is available in Australia, I am sure that
there are many AFOLs in North American and (Germanic) Europe that would be happy to
order for you until then.

After reading your post, I'm sure that there are a lot of people who would be dying
to flame you, but maybe they are happy that you reminded them (with your Australian
inferiority complex) that they live here and not there.

I personally don't understand why you just can't order (over the internet) bulk
LEGO over the internet, even if it means shipping from a foreign land.  Perhaps
import duties/postage are such that it would be cost prohibitive.

I do agree that late 2001 is a long time to wait.

Gary Istok

Benjamin Whytcross wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
Well, it's the end of the week. And I did promise. So here's welcome (I hope!)

Hooray. Good news from LD.

On September 11, we will relaunch LEGO.com. As part of this relaunch, we will
extend the LEGO Shop At Home service to the Internet. Though we may limit the
assortment available online for a few weeks (as we grow comfortable with our
new fulfillment processes), by October you will be able to place any LEGO Shop
At Home order online as well as through the "traditional" phone, fax, and
snail mail channels.

Sounds good...Don't like the 'limiting the assortment' bit, but getting
anything done by TLG for us Aussies is a big effort. Anything would be better
than what we've got.

Perhaps more significantly, we are taking LEGO Shop At Home international.
Also from September 11, you will be able to order online in the UK, Ireland,
Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, and Austria.
We will be adding service to Switzerland in November. The full LEGO Shop At
Home assortment (with a handful of exceptions) will be available to these
countries, including bulk elements. (By the way, we'll be expanding the bulk
assortment in October.) Toll-free numbers will be available for phone orders,
and we are also exploring offering printed catalogs in some of these European
markets.

Australia ???

Currently, we plan to add the remaining EU countries, as well as Australia,
New Zealand, and selected Asian markets by the third quarter of 2001 (but we
are working hard to do it earlier if we can). I wish we could bring LEGO Shop
At Home to everyone right now, but it takes time and an incredible amount of
effort to build and manage a global e-commerce service to the standards which
our customers (and we) expect.

So this is the 'news that I think everyone is looking forward to.' ???[1] That
the work required to 'make even a limited offering to you by the end of the
year'[2] was harder than you thought? Well, how about a compromise...BRING
BACK the ability Lego Australia had to get individual parts in quantity for
the people who are unable to use this new S@H service. [Like either what Lego
Aus had, or what NZ had]

Strangely, I'm not surprised that there's nothing really in this news for
people more than a country or 2 from where they actually produce LEGO,
although I would have thought that they'dd realise...If they treat somewhere
like a second [third, fourth,...]-class area, then of course it's not going to
have great sales. Strangely enough, I think TLG would be better served by
closing down LA, and making it a sub-entity of Lego UK...After all, that's how
NZ gets all the good items that don't make their way to our stores...even
though LA handle them for NZ :(

We are quite excited about the new LEGO.com. I think that you will find that
LEGO.new (as we're calling it here) is a big leap forward for The LEGO Company
online. Though much of the existing content will remain, we will be
introducing a new interface and content architecture that will allow us in
future to expand our offerings -- not just to the current core audience of
kids, but to parents and adult enthusiasts as well. Of course, once we've
launched, we welcome your comments and suggestions. An Internet site is always
a work-in-progress, and as proud as we are of this new one, we are already
thinking of ways to make it better.

So not only don't we get what Brad said they would "try" to do [3], but now we
won't even be able to order the little amount of service packs shown in the
Australian Lego catalogue...5 technic 'powerpacks' shown on page 67. Looking
back, now I realise what the "Not all products listed are available" was
actually about.

We hope that you look forward to this new site as much as we do.

I suppose I do...In the 3rd quarter of 2001 :(
[When typing this I actually mis-typed 20001, and I thought it represented a
more acurate time-frame, but I thought I'd give TLG the benefit of the doubt,
AGAIN.]

Until the launch... Play Well!

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct

Yep, I'll "play well"...with what I've currently got, and not much else :(

[1] http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=632
Yep...Australia is looking forward to it...a long way forward.

[2] http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=14
Seems that even a limited offering [5 technic supplementary packs in
catalogue, and current range] are too much for Australians to expect/hope
for...And TLG wonders why Australia is a "small market" for their products.

[3] How much effort would it take to allow Australians to purchase from what
little lego arrives in Australia. Even the ability to know when Lego Australia
will be selling sets themselves that aren't officially available would be
appreciated.

Brad, in case you don't know, what I'm referring to here is the way that Lego
Australia got in an assortment of train sets not shown in our catalogue around
Christmas last year. They then sold these from their offices in Sydney without
even advertising this to the people who might have been interested in them,
and it was only found out by Santosh around March this year. When I was
talking to the Customer service not long afterwards, I was told that this sort
of thing happens occasionally, and that they knew about Lugnet. However, for
some reason they neither try to let people know about this through a mention
in the catalogues that there may occasionally be offers/one-offs like this
available or post a message here to say that there is a new shippent arrived.

Also, Lego Australia's sales head seems to have some strange sales
practices...this year, he first decided that no-one in Australia would want
any soccer/football set other than the large field, even though all the sets
are shown in the catalogue. Then, when he hears what people really want, he
gets these sets in...and they are priced in stores as the best value for money
sets available. How is he able to sell these for a lower price than they are
in the US [allowing for currency conversions] when almost all the other sets
available down here cost a lot more than they do from the US. [And often
ordering a larger set in the US, and posting it Airmail to Australia is
CHEAPER than purchasing it in Australia.]

I look forward to hearing more...[Although I don't expect a response...After
all, what happens outside the US generally ddoesn't worry international
companies working in the US...They all seem to endd up considering the US as
the centre of the universe, and ignore the rest. :( ]

Benjamin Whytcross [Preparng to be flamed for standing up for his country,
insignificant though most consider it.]

bwhytcro@pacificaccess.com.au