 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / *3489 (-20)
  Re: what makes a legend?

Two things that make a classic for me: a good design and interesting, useful, versatile pieces. I don't care about the wheels as long as the new design looks good, but a club car without the cool windows isn't a club car. Had you not been able to (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) A terrific idea Dan. 'The Ultimate Instruction Book'. A companion piece to 'The Ultimate LEGO Book'. (...) But why not put a reasonable price on it? LEGO already puts a premium price on every brick we buy. The work on these instructions is (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) I both agree and disagree with you Kevin. I think the reissues are an incredibly good idea. The music industry has been doing this successfully for years. It allows some folks to finally get a copy of a 'classic' set even though they may not (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

There's a load of reactions here already, so I'll keep it short. I't very hard to give an overall verdict on replacement parts. I mean, almost invisible changes, like the minifig heads, would be hard to object to. In fact, even the 2x4 basic brick (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

"Brad Justus" <legodirect@lego.com> wrote in message news:GLH3tC.Iw@lugnet.com... [snip] (...) we're (...) order (...) plates, (...) of (...) different (...) so (...) How does not having the mold for an element affect it's reproducibility? I would (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) This goes along with my idea of doing them in different colors! I wouldn't mind seeing improvements on older set designs and I wouldn't mind seeing some sets based on older designs (but different). I agree that lego designers should be able to (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) SNIP! (...) First off, I would like to tell you how great it is that Lego is listening to it's audience and taking steps to bring back and recreate some of the sets that we relish and desire. Thanks for all that you have done! How many toy (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) Personally, I don't know how to answer the above questions--it hurts my head. But I am going to stir up the sentiment that we do NOT need Legends or any other Lego set to be re-released. What has already been done as far as reissuing sets (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

How about a book of legends? Reprint the old contruction manuals from sets in the 60s - 80s in one large book. Sets that you cannot/will not reissue, so that the book won't compete with your own products. The plans on Brickshelf are generally not (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) I hope the Wayback Machine has settings for the 70's. :) (...) Are you referring to the 2x4 black bricks with the 'plug in' wheels that could go on the long or short sides? Or are you meaning the 2x2 black bricks with the preinstalled smaller (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) This would depend on the individual set in question. I suspect you'd have a hard time reproducing the crater plates and landing-pad plates from old space sets, but even without any plates, or with plain grey plates, I think a Galaxy Explorer (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) Might some consideration also be given to bringing back some accessory sets to complement the "Legend sets" already released and the others which are to come? I am thinking about the highly desired and "Fabled" if not "Legendary" Cypress Tree (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

Brad & All, (...) Thanks for the honor, sir! : ) (...) Hmm... it really depends on the set. Some sets, which are pretty easy to replicate in terms of parts selections, a few parts either changed or modified is fine.I think most of the LUGNET (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

<snip> (...) Very Old Space Sets!!!!!! (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes: Other people have posted some great ideas but one I wanted to toss out is to use the Lugnet set database as one data source. A large number of people have already voted on what sets they like there, and I (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) I can definitely live without the metal-axle wheels - others may not. But its the design of the buildings of those sets that is great and why they should be reissued. The loss of a metal axle is not a show stopper for me. (...) In reality, no. (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) My initial thought is "do not cross out an entire group. You may find some sets are more readily reproduced than others". Having said that, I have no problem living with stickers for printed pieces. I also have no problem with substituting (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: What makes a legend?

(...) Some specifics would help… If your alluding specifically to Space sets predating 1980 then we could easily determine which particular sets would likely be chosen for the 2002 up-coming Legends line. With this finite list and our resources we (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

"Brad Justus" <legodirect@lego.com> wrote in message news:GLH3tC.Iw@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) and (...) mistakes (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) I am still thinking about how to answer all of your questions but in the meantime, (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) I would be more than happy to accept changes in a set if it ment that we would be able to see classics. Even such major replacements as changing a train set to run on 9v track would be more than acceptable, if it ment we were able to purchase (...) (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact