 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3486
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 13:06:49 GMT

There's a load of reactions here already, so I'll keep it short.
I't very hard to give an overall verdict on replacement parts. I mean,
almost invisible changes, like the minifig heads, would be hard to object
to. In fact, even the 2x4 basic brick has evolved over time, and I don't
think you'd be using the old molds again.
The wheel thing is similar; it's hard to tell without turning the car over.
Baseplates would be another story, because the change there would be clearly
visible. And then there's that huge grey area....
You'd really have to look at this per set and per part. Some sets really
depend on particular parts...

For stickers I think it depends on the set. For expert builder/model team
sets stickers wouldn't be as bad (the stickers from my Rolls Royce are still
on), but for town/space, where the models see more play-action it would be
another issue.

When it comes to picking classics the suggestion to look at the ratings on
Lugnet is a pretty good one. Another indicator would be eBay; prices of sets
and their frequency could give an indication.

My wishlist:
398 Constellation (I'm also still looking for 393 and 391, but 398 is THE
classic. Also, as far as I know there are few if any rare parts)
8860 Auto Chassis (but I can see the problems here; wheels, pistons... It's
not the first supercar, but it looks much better than 853, and has more
functions. The next supercar is but-ugly, and 8880 probably too recent for a
classic- but I'd buy it straight away...)
8868 Airtech Claw Rig (Awesome design, lots of functions, impossible to get
for a decent price these days...)
7740 THE train (I'm not into trains, I never had them as a child because my
dad had n-scale trains. However, releasing 7740 might do the trick.
Especially if it comes with the extra cars. Oh, and please throw in that big
steam loco -7750- while you're at it...)
5571 Black cat. (Too recent, but I think it was a set that was a classic on
first release anyway...)

As for the comments on releasing new sets in the spirit of the old one: YES!
Where's a model team VW Beetle, Citroen DS or Honda GoldWing?
There was a series of airliners but it never included a 747 or a Concord...
There's more brainstorming to be done here...

Duq