 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3487
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 13:38:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Salm writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
We're having a debate here in the ABS-paved halls of LEGO Direct that I'd
like to throw open to the community.

The topic is: what makes a LEGO Legend a legend? Or, more precisely, if we
cannot bring back a set precisely as it was (or pretty darn close), can it
still qualify as a Legend?

But I am going to stir up the sentiment that we do NOT need Legends or any
other Lego set to be re-released.

What has already been done as far as reissuing sets cannot be undone and I
hope
that the experiment has been a successful one.  I have bought some of the
re-issued sets and I am not disappointed, but the magic is not there as it was
with the originals.  Perhaps this is just due to my being older now.

Regardless, I am of the following opinion:

There is NO REASON to re-issue Lego sets identical to (or nearly so) to sets
sold in the past.  Instead, I want to see NEW selections that are based upon
the spirit of old sets.

I both agree and disagree with you Kevin.

I think the reissues are an incredibly good idea.  The music industry has
been doing this successfully for years.  It allows some folks to finally get
a copy of a 'classic' set even though they may not have been born when the
set was first released.  What if the White album had never been reissued on
CD?  You'd have Beatles fans young and old bidding on vinyl copies on eBay
to this day.

However, I strongly agree with your point that new sets, based on the design
and building principles of the older sets, are key to the future success of
this company.

Allan B.