 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3538
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:56:39 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Salm writes:
<snip>
There is NO REASON to re-issue Lego sets identical to (or nearly so) to sets
sold in the past.  Instead, I want to see NEW selections that are based upon
the spirit of old sets.

I both agree and disagree with you Kevin.

I too would say, "Why not do both?"  I think the spirit of the Legends
series is great.  Even if slight mods are needed to re-produce, the idea
that I can get certain older sets that I missed the first time around is
thrilling to me.  The Guarded Inn is a prime example:  It was the only
Castle set of 1984-86 that I missed (US), and to have the chance to get it
without paying outragous auction prices was a godsend.  ...However, one
might point out that I like to keep many (not all) of my sets built to the
intructions -and reading these other posts, I guess I am in the minority there.

Regardless, the idea of also offering new product lines that have "what we
think of as quality" is worthy of consideration... The question to LD would
be, how difficult is it to design and manufacture a new line?  Is producing
a Legend easier?  Less time consuming?  (My guess is yes.  Although we still
hold hope that future sets might be worthy of what we like... or I do anyway.)

-H.