 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3474
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:57:33 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

So here's my question for you all: how much compromise can you live with?
Should we just cross any older Town set off the consideration list because
we can't use the metal-axle wheelsets?

I can definitely live without the metal-axle wheels - others may not.  But its
the design of the buildings of those sets that is great and why they should be
reissued.  The loss of a metal axle is not a show stopper for me.

Are stickers ok?

In reality, no.  Stickers, no matter how good, have an infinitely shorter life
span than painted elements.  Some of my Lego is almost 20 years old.  The
painted elements have held up.  The stickers have faded and worn away into
nothing.

How many changes are
allowed before it's not a Legend anymore? Where do you -- where should we --
draw the line? Is the Legend in the spirit of the overall set or in the • details?

More often than not, its the details.  The Guarded Inn has a wonderful design.
But - its the tudor walls, the inn sign and the maiden that make it a classic.
The newer heads were pretty much expected.  But, aside from the "exclusive to
this set" items I've described above, this set is made with basic brick and
wall elements.  The beauty is in the design, but the details bring it to life.

I think it comes down to honesty.  Be honest to the original.  If the look is
identical, then its not a problem replacing some elements with newer elements
that do not affect the overall appearance of the original.  But any replacement
that would affect the overall appearance of the set, would not be honest to
the original.   If you cannot be honest to the original, then don't recreate
the set.