 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3475
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:07:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

Other people have posted some great ideas but one I wanted to toss out is to
use the Lugnet set database as one data source.

A large number of people have already voted on what sets they like there,
and I expect that even more would go through and rank their preferences if
you publicly announced you were in fact looking at it as part of your input
process.

I too feel that I would accept significant change in detail if it was
preunderstood what the changes were to be. For some truly classic sets (Main
Street!, the Gravel Pit set) there is no other way to even get close, I
suspect. Wheel axles matter not a bit to me.

I always evaluate sets based on their parts so sets that have useful parts
we don't see in quantity, or that we don't often see in certain colors, are
also good candidates for a certain class of buyer. I know people who are
buying metroliners just to part them out.

Again, resources exist to help with this, use the peeron inventory and look
for parts known to be a bit rare (but not unproducable) and see what sets
they appear in. (for instance this is all the sets (so far inventoried, it's
not complete) that have the 1x10 technic beam, and you can see what years
each color happened in) If the set has good curb appeal it's a candidate in
my eyes.

But the main point is one you hit on, the set has to have that certain
something, so hard to define, that makes adults melt when they see it and
that sophisticated kids will still want to play with as well.

Although I am a train head and would love to see more trains (a 9V 7740
would be AWESOME, (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7740... it gets a 95 score!)
but include the highly prized additional cars too.) Town and Space are due,
and they deserve a turn. I think I speak for many when I say I can wait till
2003 for a 7740 and friends, if it means Town gets a turn first (yes, the
Gas 'n Wash was no slouch, mind you, but it was just one set).

There are *great* space sets out there. How about Blacktron? This is perhaps
one of the most loved themes among spaceheads (after classic) and I would be
happy to see the value of my MIB MIB (mint in box Message Intercept Base)
plummet because you brought out a rerelease (just as I was happy to see all
my MIB metroliners plunge as well).

But see if you can bring out a few related sets instead of just one. Bundle
them up and make people buy them as one huge item maybe to cut down on SKUs.
If you brought out a Blacktron assortment I'd buy several right away.

I know that a large number of sets would be tough due to manufacturing
constraints, of course, but food for thought.

Actually, (if you can say) what IS your SKU budget? 4 or 50? Probably closer
to 4 but knowing that may help refine suggestions.

Finally, sorry to hear what I had always believed (that mono cannot come
back in its previous form) actually publicly confirmed. As many others said,
any clever idea that would get the key motor component somehow recreated
would be very welcomed. Maybe a farmout to some third party source? That's
assuming the track, wagon plate and bogie molds are still safe... Heck, I'd
even buy a push mono if one were done. But I am atypical, I have many motors
stashed.