 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3483
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 08:03:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
We're having a debate here in the ABS-paved halls of LEGO Direct that I'd
like to throw open to the community.

SNIP!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Play Well!

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct

First off, I would like to tell you how great it is that Lego is listening
to it's audience and taking steps to bring back and recreate some of the
sets that we relish and desire.  Thanks for all that you have done!  How
many toy companies have ever done that before?  I think this is just awesome!
As for the question of how far can you vary from the original, I go along
with others who say as long as it still has the look, the flavor, the
playability of the original, then it's no problem.  I don't have any problem
with losing the metal wheels and such.  I never cared for them anyway.
Where I think you need to concentrate is in sets that have the best design
and that use more bricks and less juniorized parts.  What I relish is
building sets that make use of bricks in creative and unusual ways so that
you learn as you build.  It spurs the creative thought process and helps to
see things in a different light.  After all, isn't creativity the main draw
with lego bricks?
I'm not a fan of stickers, but I would tolerate them.  I usually leave them
off of sets I build.  On the other hand, I've been known to rub off the
printing on bricks in order to have that part in that particular color (sans
print).  It's kind of a toss up for me!
I would like to second the notion that legend sets don't need to be large
and expensive sets!  (Of course you followed that with the "Guarded Inn")  I
also would like to maybe see a service pack or two that would benefit a
series.  How about a special "legends" service pack that would provide some
much sought after parts.  Like armor  for knights or lattice windows for
ships/town/etc.  Minifig packs would be excellent!  I think that almost all
themes could use more minifigs available.  Look at how the sets containing
special figs sell.  Most people would be interested in buying multiples of
those.
One last idea that I would like to offer is in making a legend series with
an alternate color scheme!  Instead of trying to recreate the original with
identical colors, make it with a new slate of colors.  I may be the only one
who likes this idea, but I would love to see any of a number of sets
recreated with new colors.  Especially, now that we have a whole slate of
colors that weren't available then.
I look forward to being able to vote on ideas that your team comes up with.
This whole legends concept has brought new life to my anticipation for
future lego sets.  Thanks again for making this reality!
Tom