 Instructions / 577
576  |  578
Subject:
Disclaimer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:17:58 GMT

I will soon be adding some instructions to the Brick Instruction Portal that I
will be offering for sale. It occurred to me that I'd need a suitable
disclaimer. I checked on Bip and found their wasn't one so I thought if I post
on Lugnet I can get a consensus of idea's. I've already contacted Jake from Bip
and he say's he'll add it to the resource section for everyone's use so you
wouldn't just be helping me, it's now a community project.

Here are my current idea's

The disclaimer should indemnify the author of instructions from claims in
response to

1. The builder buying bricks he doesn't need due to errors in the instructions
(although the author has a duty of care to keep errors to a minimum).

2. Injuries caused to the builder while playing with/using the design.

also the disclaimer would need to state that the author retains all rights to
the work and remains the owner.

The work is sold "as is" and is not guaranteed free from defects.

The buyer cannot copy or re-distribute the work via any media be it paper or
electronic.

The buyer is basically licensing the design.

The buyer cannot lend his instructions to anyone.

The buyer cannot let anyone else use the instructions unless they are helping to
build the model for the instruction owner either wholly or in part.

The disclaimer should state that sub-assemblies cannot be copied and used in
another set of instructions without the authors written permission (E-mail
would also be acceptable).

The disclaimer should also disallow the building of copies for other people
unless their to be given as presents. I thought we could implement this by
saying you cannot build copies for financial reward. This could also be covered
my making people use only bricks that they actually own and not somebody else's.

The disclaimer could be modified by each author to suit their needs.

These are just my current idea's and all are open to change/removeal.

So all I need now is feedback and the actual form of words that will be used.

Thanks

Steve