 Instructions / 590
Re: Disclaimer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:47:41 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Kevin Wilson wrote:
Steven lane wrote in message ...
<snip disclaimer details>

That all seems overly draconian to me ... I very much doubt if you could
make most of those requirements stick, legally or practically.

     Agreed.
     I'm not allowed to let anyone else borrow the instructions I bought (play
with my toy)?  Yeah, right.  It's my toy...license be darned.
     "sub-assemblies cannot be copied and used in another set of instructions
without the authors written permission"?  Yeah, right.  Have you ever put
together a 1x2 brick and a 1x2 plate (a subassembly) in an instruction?  Chances
are good that's been done before in Lego's instructions, so what's the
difference?
     All this goes against the creativity that Lego is all about...taking parts
and making them your own construct...'playing well'.
     And while I'm not against one making a buck with one's ideas or property
(I've bought stuff from Bricklink, a secondary market that in the end indirectly
benefits Lego), I don't understand how one can try so hard to restrict hoped-for
customers when one is really making money off another company's idea?  What
happens if your instructions show up on Bricklink?
     You want to sell your instructions?  Sell them.  But if someone buys them,
stay the heck out of their living room.

Peace and Long Life,
Tw0nst3r