 Instructions / 585
Re: Disclaimer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:29:24 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Steven Lane wrote:
   I will soon be adding some instructions to the Brick Instruction Portal that I will be offering for sale. It occurred to me that I’d need a suitable disclaimer. I checked on Bip and found their wasn’t one so I thought if I post on Lugnet I can get a consensus of idea’s. I’ve already contacted Jake from Bip and he say’s he’ll add it to the resource section for everyone’s use so you wouldn’t just be helping me, it’s now a community project.

Here are my current idea’s

The disclaimer should indemnify the author of instructions from claims in response to

1. The builder buying bricks he doesn’t need due to errors in the instructions (although the author has a duty of care to keep errors to a minimum).

2. Injuries caused to the builder while playing with/using the design.

also the disclaimer would need to state that the author retains all rights to the work and remains the owner.

The work is sold “as is” and is not guaranteed free from defects.

The buyer cannot copy or re-distribute the work via any media be it paper or electronic.

The buyer is basically licensing the design.

The buyer cannot lend his instructions to anyone.

The buyer cannot let anyone else use the instructions unless they are helping to build the model for the instruction owner either wholly or in part.

The disclaimer should state that sub-assemblies cannot be copied and used in another set of instructions without the authors written permission (E-mail would also be acceptable).

The disclaimer should also disallow the building of copies for other people unless their to be given as presents. I thought we could implement this by saying you cannot build copies for financial reward. This could also be covered my making people use only bricks that they actually own and not somebody else’s.

The disclaimer could be modified by each author to suit their needs.

These are just my current idea’s and all are open to change/removeal.

So all I need now is feedback and the actual form of words that will be used.

Thanks

Steve

Here is a “can disclaimer” that I use on all of my BIs. Note that I DO NOT SELL my BIs

DISCLAIMER

All content is provided as is, with no warranty stated or implied regarding the quality or accuracy of any content.  All trademarks, service marks, and copyrights are property of their respective owners.  LEGO is a registered trademark of the LEGO Company which does not own endorse this document.  Please note that this document is copyrighted by A&M LWorks (also know as A&M Lego Place and A&M Productions). This means that we are allowing you to ONLY print or download this document for your personal, non-commercial use. You may not, however, alter or delete any copyright or trademark notices. Furthermore we are not authorizing you to transmit, republish, or distribute either in whole or any part of this document for commercial or public use. A&M LWorks retains full and complete title to all material in this document and the sale, distribution, or reproduction of anything contained herein may constitute copyright or trademark infringement. The trademarks, logos, and service marks displayed in this document are registered and unregistered trademarks of A&M LWorks, its affiliates, and others. Nothing contained on this document should be construed as granting by implication, or otherwise, any license or right to use any trademark displayed without the written permission of A&M LWorks. A&M LWorks will endeavor to make sure the information on this document is current and correct. We cannot guarantee that there will be no errors or omissions: the information is provided in an “AS IS” condition, and A&M LWorks does not, either expressly or impliedly, warrant the use thereof. No liability is assumed for any incidental, direct, indirect, or consequential injury or damages from your use or reliance of this document. Note in particular that A&M LWorks assumes no responsibility or liability for damages to your computer, software, or peripheral equipment that may occur due to computer “viruses” or other harmful elements that may be transmitted as a result of your accessing, downloading, or other use of or contact with A&M Lego Place Web Site and the materials contained on them. In other words, your use of this document is at your own risk. A&M LWorks reserves the right to change the terms of this agreement at any time. All opinions expressed here are our own, no one else sponsors nor endorses this document.

ps. I pieced this disclaimer from several sources in particluar from the ldraw.org disclaimer and http://www.bricksonthebrain.com website. Thanks guys! =) -AHui

A&M LWorks

A&M Productions