 Instructions / 578
Re: Disclaimer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:43:08 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Steven Lane wrote:
I will soon be adding some instructions to the Brick Instruction
Portal that I will be offering for sale. It occurred to me that I'd
need a suitable disclaimer. I checked on Bip and found their wasn't
one so I thought if I post on Lugnet I can get a consensus of
idea's. I've already contacted Jake from Bip and he say's he'll add
it to the resource section for everyone's use so you wouldn't just
be helping me, it's now a community project.

Here are my current idea's •        . . .
The buyer cannot lend his instructions to anyone.

The buyer cannot let anyone else use the instructions unless they
are helping to build the model for the instruction owner either
wholly or in part.

That's never going to work in the real world.  It doesn't work for
books, music, or videos, and it won't work for building instructions
either.  You need to come up with a way to make your product more
desirable than a borrowed copy.  One possible way is to sell it with
the bricks.  Then people too lazy to track them all down will buy
the whole package.

If you look around at what others are selling, it appears that kits
and CDs with bundles of instructions seem to work.

Good luck,

Don