 General / 882
  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Here goes, but I'd like to hear some response from you on whether you agree with my technical comments (about article expiration and content based verification, specifically) or not. :-) Note that due to size I am putting footnotes on the same (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) But, requiring people to reveal true names, and to be civil IS a barrier. A good barrier, and one 98% (1) of the community will have no difficulty crossing. Call it a filter if you will. But it's a filter I wish maintained. I prefer not to (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) You may be 100% right, before I tackle any of those questions, I need to come to a better understanding of section 202 of the new Digital Millenium Copyright Act of the 105th Congress. It deals with limitations on liabilities for Internet (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Let me state that a slightly different way -- It is not supposed to be a place for a few select people to congregate and behave in a way that is natural for them (which just happens to be civil). It is supposed to be a place for everyone to (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Agreed. When I first started reading RTL (May 97?), I would read virtually each and every post. And I enjoyed doing so. Now I skip the majority of it, only occasionally parsing a thread to see what it's about. Often, as in the case of the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) OK, fair enough. What I meant by it not being designed as a barrier was that its original intent was not to be a barrier, even though in practice it is of course a small barrier. I hate to see it tossed about AS a barrier as if that were its (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Can RTL be turned round? (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Yes. As would getting it updated. I think we all acknowledge that doing a FAQ is a labor of love, and **I** certainly don't have time, but it is pretty out of date in spots. In fact, I think a few canned responses to general sorts of questions (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Maybe the FAQ isn't posted there often enough...might that help? --Todd (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think part of it is that some of the more civil voices are gone. A lot of the recent flames seem to be about the same things over and over. The same people come on and spam the same thing day after day and that starts things all over again. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 02:24:23 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote: :> RTL prior to LUGNET had order, of sorts, because the old timers, who :> knew each other, enforced it via suasion, peer pressure, and ultimately :> ostracism (to an extent). (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Terry K wrote in message <3661fca9.1478769@lu...et.com>... (...) Well, I've bailed out, for the most part. I just don't have the time anymore to wade through 80 auctions and messages about things that do not interest me. Then there are all the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Quick note: generally speaking, this is not a true statement. But, if you apply the filter of being able to use a keyboard and access the internet, it may be true for the remaining 'everyone'. Steve (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Can RTL be turned round? (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) Not only possible, but IMO true. Snobbery arrives subtlely. :) (...) Ya, well, you're only saying that because it's true ;-) It seems as though a question like, "Where can I get black helmets?" ellicits an (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I wish to apologise to fellow LUGnet users my participation in that thread, not my initial post to that thread, rather my profane, inane responses that had subsequently emerged. An irrational, defensive reaction, which only further fuelled the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It really has been the doing of one individual, believe it or not, as the catalyst (with the help of some regulars of course). Reminds me of the Mandroid days. These too, I suspect, will pass. Barry (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)