 General / 712
Re: Lego vs. K-nex
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:21:29 GMT

Surgical tubing might work as well.  Might be cheaper, however, a bit more
stretchy since it's more rubbery.  Technic pneumatic tubing is very similar to
this type of tubing, and might stretch too much.

To make a decent rollercoaster though, the set might be in the order of 2000+
pieces, unless you can make larger(longer) pieces for structural support.

Possibly a combination of ZNap for the structural part of the coaster, and
Legos for the car/misc ...

-Lee.

Joshua Delahunty wrote:

Eric Brok wrote:

Roller Coasters (looped tracks and all)

The flexible tracks are the one thing that I hope Znap will copy from K'NEX
in one way or the other.

I meant to imply that very wish myself through my posting.  Good to
see it worked.  :-P

I've been thinking of using aquarium pump tubing along with (maybe)
1x1 plates with Side Rotated Studs as mounts, and see how that works
(I'd try slicing holes at appropriate points in the tubes).  I
couldn't decide if using such a foreign substance would break the Coda
of LEGO or not.  As it turns out, the idea comes up for me a lot, but
I have yet to actually try to implement it.  I fear that tubing with a
large enough inner diameter to fit around that element would have too
large an outer diameter for LEGO hubs (notably, 2x2 hubs) to proper
grip.

That type of tubing would have the advantages of:

1: Being transparent (nice form, plus the functionality of being able
to readily see that it was seated properly).

2: Availability in bulk.  MUCH bulk.

3: Fairly cheap.

4: Easily cut-up/modified, etc. (see #3).  This is my problem with
K'NEX tubing: I'm not willing to cut it up since it's not easily and
cheaply replaced.  When I built the Big Ball Factory according to
spec, for instance, I left the extraneous tubing hanging off the top
of the run rather than cut it.  Very ugly.

                                        -- joshua