 General / 643
Re: Lego vs. K-nex
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:35:16 GMT

joshua wrote:
There are two things that K'NEX does well that LEGO does not, and they
are the only reason I even considered buying it:

Roller Coasters (looped tracks and all)
Large Ball Machines

Both are related (the ball machine uses roller coaster track), both
are very large structures, and really really cool to show off.

I'll second that.  We (my siblings and I) have one of each, and that's it
for K'NEX.  We made our ball machine taller and added a track with a
vertical fall of most of the height to a drum pad at an angle.  The ball
bounces of the pad and into a basket to return to the elevator.  We have
built the ferris wheel too, but it's  just not as big and attractive to
play with sitting in the living room around the holidays.  We've tried to
build other large models, but they just aren't as fun or easy to play
with as LEGO.  K'NEX is more difficult to play with - although the pieces
_are_ more flexible, ironically, the uses are not.
I suppose you could build towering skyscrapers out of K'NEX, but you'd
have to do it outside with a ladder to have any impressive effect.
Just my $.02
--Bram