 General / 635
Re: Lego vs. K-nex
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 22:06:13 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Joshua Delahunty wrote in message <364CA4A2.78BCBA14@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu>...
<snipped knex vs LEGO discussion>

Oh, I dunno...  I can get pretty emotional when building (actually,
when dismantling) K'Nex structures.  They cause pain in the hands a
LOT quicker than disassembling LEGO can (though, taking apart a
well-constructed TECHNIC construction does rate closely).  Such pain
DOES tend to make one emotional, as in "urgh!  I'm really not LIKING
this stuff very much right now!"  :-)

-- joshua

I'll second that Joshua. After dismantling my Supercar for 3 hours, I had
welts and raw skin on the thumbs and sides of my index fingers.

Last New Year's the kids and I assembled the car (It was their Christmas
present to me). This year, we might try the alternate model.

Oh, yes, KNEX. They got KNEX for their birthday, and after building the models
in the box (only the main model) they stopped playing with it. It's not
anything that will be fixed by buying more KNEX either. There just
isn't enough realism in the toy. If you buy a couple of LEGO tubs, or even the
lowest priced Town sets, after about 5 or 6 kits, there's enough to make LOTS
of different vehicles and space ships.

My one son has been building and modifying an X-wing for weeks now, and it
has retractable landing gear, removable canopy, and tool storage on the wing
tips. (Don't ask)

It has always been, and will always be, LEGO.

There are two things that K'NEX does well that LEGO does not, and they
are the only reason I even considered buying it:

Roller Coasters (looped tracks and all)
Large Ball Machines

Both are related (the ball machine uses roller coaster track), both
are very large structures, and really really cool to show off.

Both hurt like the dickens to put together and then take down again.
I've considered buying more K'NEX, but only because it'd let me expand
one of those two applications. I own 3 RC's, and 1 Big Ball Factory,
and 1 Motor.  Like Ralph says, that's probably all I'll ever really
NEED to build for just about anything K'NEX-wise.

Unlike many, I look forward to possibly buying a lot of ZNAP, and it
will be BECAUSE of its similarity to K'NEX.  I'd rather spend my money
on LG products and get LG quality, and if TLG decides to put out
direct competitor products for the K'NEX Roller Coaster or Big Ball
Factory, so much the better, as far as I'm concerned.

One really nice thing (perhaps the only nice thing to be written)
about the similar hand-hurting factor between K'NEX and LEGO is that
with K'NEX, you're usually in the mood to just get the thing down and
put away.  With LEGO, you're most likely thinking about the next thing
you're going to be building with the parts, and that makes the pain a
lot more bearable.  Yet another thing that shows the superiority of
LEGO.  :-)

-- joshua