 General / 7115
Re: 10x20 green baseplates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:34:25 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Black!  Wow -- that is wild indeed!  So they were as boxtops!  Ahh, now that
explains the goofy mold shape.  I think the gray one (10x10) with the
super-thin perimeter on the bottom is the exact type I cut my foot on as a
child:  the edge just snapped because it was so flimsy.  Still have it in
the old family LEGO box at my parents' home.  But at the time I felt like
burning it.  :-)

Of course the 12x24 has been used as a box top in recent sets.

Because of the tube configuration on the bottom, BTW, it could be said that
all of these new thick baseplates aren't actually baseplates anymore but
rather that they're actually *bricks*!  :-)  Especially with the smaller
ones -- the 4x6 element can hardly be thought of as a baseplate, for
example, because it's identical to a 2x6 brick on the bottom, except for the
dimensions.  The 4x10 element and 4x12 elements are also just like wider
versions of 2x10 and 2x12 bricks, although I don't think I've never seen a
2x12 brick.

At what size these bricks cease to become bricks and start becoming
baseplates is an interesting debate.  I figure the transition is fuzzy
rather than well-defined:  it might be said that an 8x8 brick is 20%
baseplate and 80% brick, or an 8x16 brick is 40% baseplate and 60% brick, or
a 12x24 brick is 80% baseplate and 20% brick.  :-)

I've heard these refered to as "super bricks", I kind of like that term.
I definitely agree that they should be classified as bricks, not base
plates. Another term I have seen is "base brick." Now the older styles
are harder to classify, since they are brick height, but in the case of
the oldest style, not really bricks at all, and the middle style (which
I have never seen - the several oldest style that were in Jambalaya
General Box #1 reminded me of those from my childhood) are only
partially bricks. I would reserve base plate for the vacuum formed
parts, which may be flat, or raised, and vary in size from small (what's
the smallest, I'm not at home some I don't have mine in front of me, I
think the smallest I have are 8x12 or so) to 50x50 (anything larger?).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com