 General / 6942
Re: 10x20 green baseplates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:10:35 GMT

Gary,

I was reading your post today in RTL about the history of LEGO plates, and
thinking about this thread.  I thought to myself, "I'll be Gary has the
real scoop on the 10x20 plates."  :)

Do you know when exactly the tubes were added to the inner edge of the
baseplates?  I have 2 without and 1 with, and yet all 3 would have been
purchased around the same time.  My guess would be that the tubes were
added around 1977.

My own info is coming from memory (having gotten the #2 and #7 sets) and
also a 1976 product catalog.  It clearly shows the baseplates in set #'s:

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 190.  All on the same page no less.  How's that for
set numbering?  :)

Regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in article
<37C15F34.CFCEF184@umich.edu>...
Well, there were a lot of sets in the 1970's that had those 10x20 green • (1 brick
thick) baseplates with the tubes around the bottom inside edge.  Several • sets come
to mind immediately - 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 148, • 149.  Back
in the 1960's the grey 10x20 was the most prevalent baseplate.  In the • 1970's it
was the green 10x20.  The green ones were also available (as item 700E) • in several
different service pack packages of baseplates. Back in the 70's (I think) • they
were packaged 2 (different colors) to a pack.  Grey & White, Blue & Red, • and Green
& Yellow were the colors packaged together.

There are a few other sets from the 1970's (or later) that had these • green
baseplates.

Gary Istok

chris wrote:

Allan thanks for the info,
Mine have the tubes around the edges, so 2 must be from #7, don't know • where I
picked up the third one.

Chris Hill

Allan Bedford wrote:

I know that I got mine in a #7 Universal Set back in mid-seventies. • I also
got one in a #2 Universal Set, for which I still have the box, • showing the
base plate as one of the parts.

These weren't buckets though, they were boxes.  In the case of the #7 • set,
it was a large flip-lid style box.  The base plates were right on top • when
you opened the box.