 General / 7089
Re: 10x20 green baseplates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:52:55 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <37ca5bd8.72028733@lugnet.com>...
In lugnet.general, Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> writes:
[...]
An interesting side note about the Type 2 baseplates is that Samsonite • made
some 10x10 sized baseplates without any ridges within the underside. • These
were used primarily for box tops!  The early Samsonite sets 702 and 703, • which
were in tall square boxes (similar dimentions as a USA quart size milk
carton).  The top of these sets consisted of one of these 10x10 plates • (always
in red!).  When I browse eBay, I often notify sellers of the 702 and 703 • sets
that the "missing" box top is actually one of these 10x10 baseplates. • They
usually find it, and include it as part of the set.  In the late 1960's • and
early 1970's the Samsonite service packs were square boxes that had one • of
these baseplates as the bottom of the box.  Unlike the earlier 702 and • 703 sets
(which only had the red baseplate), these service packs seemed to have • these
plates in many different colors.  I have examples in grey, yellow and • yes -
even in black.  But I have not been able to locate them in white or blue.

Black!  Wow -- that is wild indeed!  So they were as boxtops!  Ahh, now • that
explains the goofy mold shape.  I think the gray one (10x10) with the
super-thin perimeter on the bottom is the exact type I cut my foot on as a
child:  the edge just snapped because it was so flimsy.  Still have it in
the old family LEGO box at my parents' home.  But at the time I felt like
burning it.  :-)

[...]
Other "thick" baseplates were produced in recent years.  4x12 and 8x16
baseplates in various colors have been found.  Other sizes may be • available as
well.

I've seen them recently in FreeStyle and Castle in the sizes of 4x6, 4x10,
4x12, 8x8, 8x16, and 12x24.  Belville also had a quarter-disc version
measuring 12x12 (basically a square with one rounded corner, like a huge
slice of a pie) and a counterpart measuring 24x24 with a quarter-disc
removed (so that it, plus the 12x12 quarter-disc, made a full 24x24 • square).
The Belville ones came in pastel Belville colors:  yellow, green, purple,
and possibly others.

Because of the tube configuration on the bottom, BTW, it could be said that
all of these new thick baseplates aren't actually baseplates anymore but
rather that they're actually *bricks*!  :-)  Especially with the smaller
ones -- the 4x6 element can hardly be thought of as a baseplate, for
example, because it's identical to a 2x6 brick on the bottom, except for • the
dimensions.  The 4x10 element and 4x12 elements are also just like wider
versions of 2x10 and 2x12 bricks, although I don't think I've never seen a
2x12 brick.

At what size these bricks cease to become bricks and start becoming
baseplates is an interesting debate.  I figure the transition is fuzzy
rather than well-defined:  it might be said that an 8x8 brick is 20%
baseplate and 80% brick, or an 8x16 brick is 40% baseplate and 60% brick, • or
a 12x24 brick is 80% baseplate and 20% brick.  :-)

Oddly, there is no 4x4 brick yet (as far as I'm aware), but -- get this --
back in the 50's and 60's, there were 4x4 L-shaped bricks!

  Cool!  Todd, thanks for pointing out a brick I had not seen before!  And I
thought I'd seen them all (well, not really).

PS - sorry about your foot - hope its better by now.
--
   Have fun!
   John

--Todd