 General / 6989
Re: 10x20 green baseplates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 03:28:24 GMT

Hello,

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in article
<37C2B37A.EF723928@umich.edu>...
Hmmm,  Let's see, I have sets 148 (Central Train Station) and 149 (Shell
Refinery).  They both came out in 1975, and both have the green • baseplates with
the tubes underneath.  That would place the conversion date prior to • 1975.  I
also have a 1970 US Samsonite Dealer Catalog, which still shows the old • style
10x20 plates.  So sometime between 1971-74 that conversion took place. • I'm not
really sure right now.  I'll have to go home tonight and check some of my • old
US & German catalogs from the early 1970's.

The 10x20 plate has a long history in Lego.  It actually had 3 different • (or
more?) variations.

My hat's off to you Gary.  You've answered my question and then some.  I
had no idea that the tubeless plate went back that far.  Thank you very
much for the detailed answer.

I'm wondering now, are you compiling (or have you already compiled) all of
this LEGO history into a website/article of any kind?  If not, I will
happily make room on the Expert Builder site for this great information.
:)

Warm regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm