 General / 6967
Re: 10x20 green baseplates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:26:10 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

Type 2.-  I believe that these came on the scene circa 1961.  The colors that
were available were grey, red, white, yellow, blue and green.  A 10x20
baseplate was never made in black!  This type should be familiar to anyone that
has some old 1960's LEGO.  The top looks the same (with "LEGO" on the studs)
but on the underside there is a slight change.  The bottom is still divided
into quadrants, but no large "LEGO", and no smooth surface.  The bottom has a
lot of little craters that conform to the underside of the studs on top (sort
of like the underside of a vacuum formed part).  These were made circa 1961 to
the early 1970's.  Samsonite had these as well as TLG Europe.

Gary, when I read this I went and checked out my small collection of
these 10x20 baseplates. All 5 are your type 2, but there are three
different variations!

a) Lego in medium size letters on the top studs, a textured underside
(similar to the texturing on roof bricks) with the indentations
corresponding to the studs, and almost-full-height ridges dividing the
undersde into 4 quadrants. Where the ridges meet there is a stepped-back
area, with the moulding nozzle "blob" in the centre. "700e" moulded on
the enderside, but no "Lego". I have one in red, one in grey. In fact on
closer examination the two colors have different textures underneath:
the grey is like roof bricks, the red is more "scaly", same is the green
one (type 2c below).

b) Lego in smaller letters on the top studs, a smooth underside with
indentations corresponding to the studs, and almost-full-height ridges
dividing the underside into 4 quadrants. Where the ridges meet there is
a stepped-back area, with the moulding nozzle "blob" in the centre. No
numbering or lettering on the underside. I have one in grey, one in
blue.

c) Lego in medium size letters on the top studs, a textured underside
(looks "scaly", different from the texturing on type 2a) with the
indentations corresponding to the studs, and *half-height* ridges
dividing the undersde into 4 quadrants. Where the ridges meet there is a
semicircular set-back on each ridge, andthe moulding blob in the middle.
On the underside there is a raised (about 1/2mm high, 9mm wide) diagonal
"X"-shaped area running from corner to corner. It's marked "700e   o" on
the underside. I have one in green.

All these are British-bought, between about 1962 and 1975.

More variations, anyone?

Kevin