 General / 55255
Re: Brickshelf empty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:27:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Jetro de Chateau wrote:

One of the reasons it took me so long is that it is quite
difficult to keep track of what you have read and what not
and this is made worse by the cross posting that goes on.
If you read LUGNET from more than one computer it gets even
more difficult.

If you read lugnet with a newsreader (Outlook Express, XanaNews for
example), instead of using the web interface, there's no problem keeping
track of what you have read. XanaNews can probably be configured as a
'portable application' so you can have it and the messages on a memory stick
when walking between computers.

The drawback with this way is that FTX-formatted posts doesn't expand in the
news reader (as the FTX format is unique for lugnet).

On the positive side, one can batch download new posts and read off-line (if
anyone is ever off-line nowadays).

Just the thing I was looking for. I started looking into this when Matija Puzar
mentioned the NNTP protocol (which I vaguely remember using several aeons ago)
and this got me on the right track. However, I have found that - as opposed to
what happens when I simply have a look at the traffic report on the web
interface - in order to see what's going on I need to subscribe to about a
hundred different newsgroups, and half of them haven't had a single message in
the last 5 years or have never ever received more than 4 or 5 messages in all
the time they have existed.

You may ask why I would want to subscribe to all the LUGNET newsgroups, but in a
low traffic environment that's what I like to do. I'm a Technic / MINDSTORMS
guy, but I love seeing a nice Pirates MOC, want to stay up to date with what's
happening in CAD, love hearing about the preparations and results of shows
because it might give me ideas for our own event etc. etc. But LUGNET has a
level of specialization in the newsgroups that it takes two hours just to set
the thing up.

I know, I'm moaning and exaggerating, but someone did ask what happened and
where everybody went and, well, LUGNET *is* a bit out of date, or maybe it needs
some serious slimming down.

Another reason for not signing up earlier was the cost. Not that
LUGNET is expensive, but in a way the fact that you need to pay to be
able to post on LUGNET is a protection to the site.

This is not true. You do not have to be a member to be able to post on
lugnet! But you have to reply to an acknowledge email for each post you
make. I have no problems with that. I've been on lugnet since it started,
but I have never become a member.

This is not possible if you try to write a post or answer through the web
interface and doesn't work when you respond to an email either - as a matter of
fact I can't respond to an email being a member. I suspect NNTP is the way to go
for this.

In this case it's not the money but the arcane arts that keep LUGNET free of
meaningless chatter :)

Incidentally, I like things to be free, but in this particular case I was more
than happy to contribute towards keeping this service going, seeing how much I
have got out of it over the years and still get on a regular basis

Jetro