 General / 55248
Re: Brickshelf empty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:49:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:
   Seems I was not the only one to leave this place. :(

Can’t see how flickr and possibility to edit posts and masking mail-addresses can be the reason for this. Does not matter if the system is slightly flawed if the crowd and quality of builds and posts is maintained.

Did this decline happen suddenly as a reaction to some change (I left partly due to all the negative energy in here when TLG changed the shade of gray) or has it been a slow downfall?

Where is everybody now?

To me it seems the quality of the products is still high with the creator series and others. And I’d personally would love to buy an 8258. :D

Used to “hang” mostly in Technic and lurk in rtlToronto and Mecha. All seems equally dead. :(

At Brickworld 2009, the fragmentation of the AFOL online community was the subject of several discussions. This fact seems to be well-known to AFOLs at this point. Even the LEGO Community Team knew about this. As you pointed out, one question is: where has everybody gone, and why? A second question - and the subject of discussion at Brickworld - was: how can this fragmentation be addressed?

As to where everyone has gone - I think the most popular answers are Flickr, Eurobricks, and a few theme-specific sites such as FBTB and Classic-Castle. It also seems like there are now a million different LEGO blogs - perhaps some fans are spending their time reading or writing blogs instead of participating in forums. The bottom line here is that the fan community is no longer centered around any single site; they are scattered over half a dozen or more different sites.

In my observation, LUGNET’s traffic underwent a slow - but sustained - decline to the point where instead of there being regular news to read, you were lucky to manage a few new posts per day. As new posts waned, so did interest and traffic - and vice versa. It didn’t seem like there was a mass exodus... just an ever-increasing lack of new posts.

It’s hard to come up with an answer to the issues of AFOL community fragmentation. I’m open to suggestions! It seems like LUGNET is a good resource, and it’s a shame that the community isn’t making better use of it.

-Jordan