 General / 55254
Re: Brickshelf empty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:20:02 GMT

Jetro de Chateau wrote:

One of the reasons it took me so long is that it is quite
difficult to keep track of what you have read and what not
and this is made worse by the cross posting that goes on.
If you read LUGNET from more than one computer it gets even
more difficult.

If you read lugnet with a newsreader (Outlook Express, XanaNews for
example), instead of using the web interface, there's no problem keeping
track of what you have read. XanaNews can probably be configured as a
'portable application' so you can have it and the messages on a memory stick
when walking between computers.

The drawback with this way is that FTX-formatted posts doesn't expand in the
news reader (as the FTX format is unique for lugnet).

On the positive side, one can batch download new posts and read off-line (if
anyone is ever off-line nowadays).

Another reason for not signing up earlier was the cost. Not that
LUGNET is expensive, but in a way the fact that you need to pay to be
able to post on LUGNET is a protection to the site.

This is not true. You do not have to be a member to be able to post on
lugnet! But you have to reply to an acknowledge email for each post you
make. I have no problems with that. I've been on lugnet since it started,
but I have never become a member.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm