 General / 54318
54317  |  54319
Subject:
Here's a question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:47:18 GMT

(since things are plenty quiet around here :) )

So you're at a show or flea market or somewheres where there are those selling
their wares...

You happen to notice a bin/tote/garbage can/whathaveyou full of LEGO bricks.

Do you get immediately excited?--"Hey!  A bin full of bricks that I have the
potential of buying!!"

Or do you sort thru said containers to see if there are any 'Wow!  A piece I
haven't seen since 1972!!  I just want this one piece and forget the rest!!"

Or do you say, "Ewww!  used LEGO!!!  Blech!!"

I'm so of the first type--I come across a bin o' LEGO at a show and it's like a
4 year old at the Christmas store--"I really really really want it!!!"

It's only lately that I start in with the 'poker face' and try to negotiate a
lower price--"I'll take that garbage can full of old brick off your hands for 60
bucks..."

I'm not that good at it yet, but I'm getting there.

On a related note, if you do get your hands of used LEGO form one of these
shows/auctions/flea markets, do you wash 'em immediately?

Think I've mentioned and/or read here before about a few pretty disgusting icky
things attached to used LEGO purchases.

Meh, goes with the territory or is that a factor in nuot purchasing used LEGO
for you?

I do find myself lately being more excited on purchasing a bin full of used LEGo
than I am at getting new sets.  I love new sets, mind you--but I know what's in
the boxes.  Getting a bin full of used bricks is like 'Indiana Jones' time--"Oh
look--waffle pieces!!!"  (I love waffle pieces--takes me back to being a kid)

I also really love being at shows with other builders and buying a bin or two
(If I can find 'em) and having my LEGO buddies say whilst going thru 'em--"Wow!
I've never seen this piece before" and just give it to 'em.

Anyway, thoughts?

Dave K