 General / 53496
Re: Increasing a collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 05:13:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Avishai Gebler wrote:
Hi all.

I'm a very long-time browser, who's finally built up enough courage to post.

I also, though having never experienced a 'dark age' in my building, have
recently become much more serious in my desire to take both my building and
collection to the next level.

Browsing Lugnet has certainly helped me with the building technique aspects. Now
to turn to the acquisition question.

So, I pose this question to all those who wish to help guide me along my journey
- what's the best and economic way you've all found to increase collection size,
and what pieces do you all think are the best to have in bulk?

Glad to be here.
- Avishai

I found bricklink and ebay the best ways to buy sets and parts.  When bidding on
sets on ebay I generally go to bricklink to get an idea of the cost of most
sets. My experience has shown that most items on ebay sell for more than you can
get them on bricklink.  As for parts, I started with auctions that were by the
pound.  That is a two edge sword.  It can be cheap to get a lot of bricks and it
also means you are going to get a lot of junk.  By the time I sort out the
unsuable bricks and mega bricks the lot shrinks.  Also there are a lot of tooth
marked bricks and damaged ones, get rid of those (marks, faded).  I also get a
lot of bricks from sales at TRU and Target.  After Chrismas you usually can find
real good deals and I then part out the sets.  Bricklink is again a good source
as you can search by largest number and best price of bulk bricks.  They usually
sell on bricklink for a lot less than Legos pick a brick.  If you are in the US
you can also call the Lego outlet stores (numbers listed on the Lego site) and
ask for bags of bricks.  When they have displays and damaged boxes they put them
into packs and sell parts from the current sets.  I was luckly to live in
Burbank where there was a very good Lego store.  But all the stores will ship.
Hope that this helps you and good luck
John P