 General / 5332
Re: are flexible technic axles really axles?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 15:38:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Rob Doucette wrote:

The 8440 has the same suspension setup on both front and rear axles.

Only sort of agree. While this is a four bun setup, the rear wheels do
not steer. They must use the bun for decorative purposes only. There is
a solid axle going through the bun back to the differential.

But the front shows the assembly very clearly. Only difference is that
the bun side ball is rear facing instead of front facing

I argree with Larry. I have that set (8440) and the way they configured the
rear wheel connections, ( I hesitate the use the word "suspension" as, for me,
that implys a use of shock asorbing qualities, which, other than the tires
themselves, there is none on this model) apparently, they used the buns  at the
rear for a clean look for the wheel attachements and use a flex cable to simply
keep them pointed straight( I might be incorrect here about the flex cable
between the buns as I can't locate those instructions at this moment but I know
they used something to hold them straight). The pieces used at the rear to
connect the buns are different parts than the "aframe" pieces used at the
front. In differently configured model, the same pieces could be used for 4
wheel steering and, with additional parts, a "real" suspension could be setup
with the rear parts. I am still trying to figure out a suspension using the
front style "aframe" pieces. : )
   Have fun!
     John