 General / 53297 (-20)
  How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

The other day I found myself pondering a few things: How big is the AFOL community? And perhaps more interestingly, why is it the size that it is? I started thinking about this with all the discussion about LEGO conferences and shows being put on. (...) (18 years ago, 27-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Peeron Fund Drive

I just noticed (URL) this>. I really appreciate services like Peeron and all of the hard work contributed by people like Dan and Jennifer to the AFOL community so I am posting this in .general so everyone will notice it and click (URL) here> to make (...) (18 years ago, 27-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Internationalization of Lego - A History

(...) I cannot date these catalogues: (URL) it says: Concessionaria per l'Italia: (Concessionaire for Italy) D.I.G.A. Milano, Via P.F. Mola 19, tel. 396 - 368 D.I.G.A. Milano, Viale Certosa, 125, 364 - 040 bye, w. (18 years ago, 26-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGOfan - is it dead?

(...) Kelly, Thanks for the update. I have been checking a couple of times each week to see if it was back up and running. Thanks for the redirect too. I wasn't certain where to place it, but knew the Ambassadors where frequent posters. Todd (18 years ago, 25-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGOfan - is it dead?

(...) Hi Todd, LEGOFan is currently offline due to a disk drive problem which took down the RAID array. We've been working with Eric at Northstar Computers to get it fixed, but it looks like the drive(s) are hosed at a low level, and require a clean (...) (18 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.ambassadors, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: The Texas State Railroad Project - TSRR #300

(...) Here are some good photos of the real thing: (2 URLs) --Anthony (18 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  The Texas State Railroad Project - TSRR #300

I've nearly finished the second locomotive in my Texas State Railroad Project, the Consolodation type #300. As I said in my first post, I am building these locomotives in support of the Texas State Railroad. If you have the time and haven't already (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: K'Nex enters the fray

(...) This really pretty big news and seems to have not got much press around here. I stumbed across a link to this site being advertised on BrickShelf: (2 URLs) For those who like K'nex or thought it may have possibilities in the Lego world, now (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, FTX)

  Some announcements :-)

Hi all, BrickJournal is progressing toward release of Issue 6. Layouts are being sent to proof now and followups to articles are going from me this week. The Journal also took a major step in staffing when we got a person to start a European Bureau. (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.publish.brickjournal, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, FTX) !

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(...) Keep in mind that wages in the U.S. are considerably less than in much of Western Europe. In Switzerland, the minimum wage is $22/hour. A lot of that is a consequence of the effects of VAT on national economies over there. Production in the (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(...) I will make an idle observation (from way out in left field)... The market for LEGO seems to be soft (beyond description) at the moment. My BrickLink store is experiencing one of the slowest Januarys that I have ever seen. I saw signs of this (...) (18 years ago, 14-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(...) It is expensive to own property that is much too large, and to suddenly become a landlord leasing the unwanted areas, is almost never a wanted activity when you need to save money. It is probably "sell it all" and "re-lease only a part" that (...) (18 years ago, 13-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(...) When you own the property, you benefit from the increase in real estate values over time. When I originally bought my house, my mortgage was higher than it would have cost me to rent a comparable house. Within five years, this was no longer (...) (18 years ago, 13-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(...) Yes, and C&S, one of the largest grocery distributors in the region is doing the same thing with a couple of facilities not far from Enfield - selling the buildings and then leasing them. The company I work for, also in the same region also (...) (18 years ago, 13-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(...) IBM did a similar sell-off of their buildings and lease back a couple years ago. It turns out to save on US taxes. -dw (18 years ago, 12-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(...) Gary's right. One the things that is happening is that globalization of resources...the US has higher wages than the rest of the world in many things, so to bear the costs that consumers want, less expensive places have to be found to produce (...) (18 years ago, 12-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(...) No it will still be around. In the future LEGO may not be owned by Kjeld and Gunhild anymore (Godtfred Kirk Christiansen's 2 surviving children), however it will still be around. There's too much value in the brand name. A future owner may (...) (18 years ago, 12-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

Lego is on it's way out, plain and simple. By 2012, it will be a memory. (18 years ago, 12-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Let's Talk about the 2007 Sets

To those interested in 2007 sets, Man I am jazzed by what has leaked out for 2007 and is currently out for 2007. If you interested in some of the leaks point you browser over at: (URL) and (URL) a brief run down of my thoughts: Star Wars I love the (...) (18 years ago, 11-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2007) !

  Re: LEGO® Systems, Inc. sells Enfield complex for $58.9 million

(URL) (18 years ago, 11-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, FTX) !

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact