 General / 50504
Re: Lego company survey now on LegoFan.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:42:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Greg Kramer wrote:
   OK, I filled it out. Comments:

1) Geez. Kind of a pain in the neck. Like 70 questions, many with a dozen or more sub questions. It’s like doing your taxes.

Yeah, which is a big reason that the LEGO Fan team and I were able to wrangle a tangible reward out of the process. We knew that the survey was long and the requirements for head count were steep. In the “Everybody goes home happy” mindset, we knew that it wasn’t going to be acceptable to just ask for the feedback like we’ve done in the past.

   2) Seemed to be authored by a European. Several reasons: one, the number of questions as I mentioned above. What American would assume their customers have time to answer that many? Two, use of the word “whilst” throughout the survey. Three, calling Walmart a “supermarket”.. hmmm... not how I would have termed it.

I’m not sure that your point about the number of questions = European mindset, but again, we new the request was big, thus the reward as part of the process.

As far as who authored it: both Americans and Europeans. (joke)Being an international company, sometimes we have to let those pesky “internationals” into the process ;) (/joke)

   3) And although termed an “adult enthusiast” survey, it did not seem to have questions tailored specifically to us. Maybe a couple. It more seemed like a standard survey but they wanted to be able to separate our results from others folks.

I believe the team working on the survey did some amount of tweaking to make it more “AFOL specific”, but the purpose of the survey is to first and foremost, get a more clear picture of how our consumers (all of them) think of us as a brand - very important as we continue to plan our future strategies.

Although the questions may not be 100% relevant to AFOLs, it’s important to ensure a similar framework for data collection between all survey areas. This helps us get closer to a goal of one large collection of data, rather than a series of smaller collections that we then have to make assumptions on how well it connects.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to help out both the LEGO Group and BrickFest!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison