 General / 50498
Re: Lego company survey now on LegoFan.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:51:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Scott Costello wrote:
   The LEGO company would like to understand their consumers better and they need YOUR help!

(snip)

   Even if you are not planning on attending Brickfest, please help out by taking the survey.

The BrickFest event benefits the entire community by helping to launch new ideas, getting external attention and growth for the community, and providinga wonderful venue for fans all over the world to come together. Many of the great things we’re now experiencing in the community can be traced back to ideas suggested at BrickFest.

Let’s try and send a message to the CEO that AFOL’s are a) willing to help, and b) partners in this thing called LEGO, not simply consumers!

Take the survey now.

I took this, you can get to it from the LegoFan page as well.

I had to use IE to take the survey, it didn’t work for me in FireFox. YMMV.

I found it took about 15-20 min or so to take, you will be asked a number of questions about purchases, including by category, and within that, whether for yourself or for your kids. I found it hard to remember exactly what I spent and fear I may have given slightly inconsistent answers (that they don’t total to the same amount each way)

I found a lot of the questions to be quite thoughtfully framed. A consistent theme was the tradeoff between quality and price.

I was able to take the survey using Firefox (on an XP system). It took me about 20 minutes to take, although I really wish that for certain questions, they would allow write-ins. They did on some, but not on a key one to me.

Question 24: What is the reason why your spending on Lego products decreased last year (if you answered that your spending decreased in question 23)?

Two reasons I was looking for were: ONE: personal economic situation required decreased spending (loss of job, purchase of a house or car, new child, etc.) TWO: current collection is sufficient for my building needs

Now I think I know the reason why write-ins were not allowed on this question, so I can’t say I’m completely surprised. But there are outside budget constraints that can also explain why some people are not buying quite as much. I hope that the survey analysis will take that into consideration, that not all legitimate responses were available.

But that’s my only complaint. It may take longer for non-US consumers to answer, since all monetary responses are in US dollars. Better find your local exchange rate, and then laugh at how strong your currency is in relation to the dollar.

Makes me long for the old #2 pencil days... John