 General / 50500
Re: Lego company survey now on LegoFan.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:04:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
There are a lot of questions about how much on this and that (Playmobil,
Fischer-Price, MB, etc). When they look at my replies, LEGO will probably
think I'm a cheapskate for not buying at full price.

Eh, sadly, I think it's true. Most AFOLs are after cheap Lego because we buy so
much. Not all of us, mind you, but most of us, I think.

And of course there were a few things that weren't really quite .... right. Like
"Do you buy less Lego than you did before? If so, please check any reasons why
below that apply" or whatnot. It's true that I buy a bit less because of the
color change, set quality, etc, but mainly, it's because I've got a lot of Lego
already. Since I'm one of those guys that dismantles creations when I'm done
with them, I've got pretty much enough Lego to build what I want. So I'm not
itching for more. Also, I can imagine that some people buy less because they
don't have as much money to spend (IE have kids, lower pay/unemployed, etc).

Also, there were a few questions that were worded such that I *sorta* wanted to
say something different. Like "do you buy Lego because it's the highest
quality?" Well.... yes and no. Highest quality plastic & tolerances? Yes.
Highest quality set design? No. Kinda wish I knew what exactly they were after
there...

But I guess you're doomed to get those sorts of questions.

One thing I think was strangely absent was the tie-in of nostalgia. They did ask
about whether you played with Lego as a kid, but they didn't really get at
whether or not that was a reason to buy Lego today. For me, it's still a big
part. If Lego had gone out of business during my dark ages, I wouldn't be buying
MegaBloks today. In fact, I don't think there's anything that other brands COULD
do to get me to buy their products. Only thing that'd change my buying habits
with building toys would be if Lego's quality dropped significantly. I'm a
*Lego* fan, end of story.

DaveE