 General / 49419
Re: SWEDISH TOWN PLAN BOARD (was Re: New (Old) Town Plan sets discovered.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:08:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Gary Istok wrote:

It seems that in Sweden they were driving on the left side of the
road (like they do in Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand).
However, in 1962, one day it was decreed that everyone drive on the
right side of the road (something  like May 1?)

In fact it was September the 3:rd, 1967, 05.00AM (Sunday morning). I was
only 13 then, so I wasn't allowed to be up at that time of day, but I
remember getting out my bicycle as soon as I woke up later in the morning.

In 1955 there was a nationall poll, and a massive majority voted for staying
on the left side (82.9%). Still, in 1963 it was decided that we should
change, and after four years of preparation (all buses had to have the doors
rebuilt), the move was done.

I remember every car owner getting stickers to place in the car, to remember
to drive on the right side. As a side not, we Swedes were a bit crazy before
the switch, as we used left-drive cars, and drove on the left side of the
road. Not very easy to do an overtake in those days! OTOH, the traffic
wasn't so intense...

We had quite severe speed limits the first two or three years after the
change, and we've never since gone all the way back (Before the change there
was no limit outside of towns!).

To get back on topic, I remember my best friend having the Town Plan (but I
don't think he had all the buildings), and we played quite a lot with it
around 1960-63.

Thanks Anders,

It really is an interesting story!

Boy did I get the year wrong on that one.  But I was basing that on my memory
from something I read a few years ago.  Well, at least we know that they made
the Swedish Town Plan board #200 until 1966 or so (when the Town Plan system
ended).  So it had a longer production run than I first imagined.

Gary Istok

A Lego addict since 1960