 General / 49411
49410  |  49412
Subject:
SWEDISH TOWN PLAN BOARD (was Re: New (Old) Town Plan sets discovered.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 05:48:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Strand wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Eric Strand wrote:

Here are the deep links until moderation:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/estrand/TownPlans/200a_continental_europe_50s.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/estrand/TownPlans/200_british.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/estrand/TownPlans/200_continental_europe_60s.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/estrand/TownPlans/246_usa_samsonite.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/estrand/TownPlans/842_usa_samsonite.jpg

There are many variations of the european and UK versions but I will leave that up to Gary to explain on his CD.

Eric

Here is another picture showing a slight variation of the 60’s continental europe town plan.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/estrand/TownPlans/200_continental_europe_60s_2.jpg

The photo of the children on the front must have been taken during the same photo shoot. I have no idea why they changed the photo...

Eric

Well I just found out why this board is different. Kurt Richter, a German collector friend (who is also helping with the Lego CD) told me today that this was the Swedish Town Plan board.

It seems that in Sweden they were driving on the left side of the road (like they do in Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand). However, in 1962, one day it was decreed that everyone drive on the right side of the road (something like May 1?), and Sweden then followed the rest of continental Europe. I would love to hear the story of how this actually took place. Perhaps Swedish Lego old timers Tore Eriksson or Anders Isaksson could explain it to us.

Anyway, it appears that from 1960 to 1962 they had a Swedish version of the Lego Town Plan board. The board itself is almost identical to the regular continental Town Plan board, except the thick white lines at the intersections are on the opposite side than the regular continental Town Plan board. And of course, the picture on the cover of the board shows a different boy, and the same girl in a slightly different pose. After 1962, TLG probably discontinued this board, making it very collectible (but virtually unknown) to most collectors.

The British Town Plan board (used in Australia and New Zealand as well) that came out in 1963 had the same 7 blocks as the other Town Plan boards, but in a different layout, with some traffic circles. The continental European, Swedish, and USA/Canada boards all had the same design layout, and the only thing that differentiates the plan of the Swedish board from the continental and USA/Canada board was the placement of the thick white lines.

Learning something new everyday!

Gary Istok

A Lego addict since 1960.