 General / 49331
Re: New (Old) Town Plan sets discovered.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:27:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Starting in 1963 Britain had their own Town Plan set and Town Plan board,
but they still used the same #810 and #200 numbers as the rest of Europe.
Note: the British Town Plan set and board were also
sold in Australia and New Zealand
Here is an example of a British #810 Town Plan recently sold in Australia on
EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5925440925

Also of note in those pictures are UK-only versions of the accessories (1) like
the cantilever covered petrol pumps (although an incomplete containental version
is also shown), the round top Esso sign, the round top street lights, and the
road signs (2).

Curious to me is the appearance of hollow bottom trees in this set. I thought
those trees only appeared with studded baseplates. I usually see flat bottom
trees (3) with this set. If they are original that would tend to date this set
later in its run. I was also surprised to see the Benzin version of the truck,
rather than the Esso (4).

HTH,
Clark

(1) For more info see: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=8649