 General / 49420
49419  |  49421
Subject:
Lugnet, Peeron, Brickshelf, Bricklink in upcoming Lego CD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:04:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

As part of the Lego CD that I (and my helpers) are still working on, I wanted to
add a chapter about the major AFOL Lego sites.  This chapter would talk about
Lugnet, Peeron, Brickshelf and Bricklink (as well as a few others such as
1000steine).  I would like to contact whoever is in charge of each (I've had no
luck with a response from Peeron so far).  I want to not only discuss (in the
CD) all the services that these sites can provide, but after I publish I also
wish to give these sites access to the following data:

1) updates for old Lego sets that are unknown to these sites.  As an example,
there are 17 references to Lego item #700.  #700 is the most used number in Lego
history.  I will reference at least 50 different items under the #700 banner,
the majority of which are unknown to most collectors.  There will probably be
about 50 other old Lego sets/items from the 50's and 60's that are not
referenced anywhere in these websites.  I will help get these added to the
websites.

2) old catalogs.  The Lego catalogs from 1955-65 are missing from most sites.  I
want to help get these added to the websites.

3) unknown parts.  There are about 20 parts either unknown, or picture not
available.  I want to help these get added to the websites.

4) correcting errors.  There are some errors in the databases of the websites
that need to be corrected.  Example: #810 Town Plan is not a wooden box as is
mentioned in many places (due to the fact that the 1965 Danish catalog shows a
picture of the #810 with another wooden box set sitting on top of it).  It is a
cardboard box available in 2 major versions (British and continental Europe).

But first I would like to be in contact with the site owners to get input on
what I should say about their websites.  Please contact me.

-----------------------

Also, it looks like the old Lego sets from the 50's and 60's have so many
different versions, that it is taking a toll on the time it take to finish this
project.

The catalogs from the 1955-65 era are usually only 2 pages long.  But that is
very misleading!  Just the Lego spare parts packs from 1956-65 number 819
different items!!!  If one were to collect every parts pack from that era with
every possible box top picture, that number would soar to over 15,000!!!  And
Eric Strand has been digging up so many new (previously unknown) Samsonite Lego
retailer catalog items (such as Sears or Penney's catalogs) that are not shown
in any Lego catalog.  So I will be releasing a "Part 1" and a Part 2" of the
Lego CD.

The Part 1 should be available by December, and will contain the years 1955-80.
Part 2 will be available later in 2005, and go beyond the 1990's as previously
mentioned.  I want to make Part 2 from 1980-2005.  And I will be adding some
items (such as Duplo and Bionicles) that I had no intention of including before.

Part 1 will also contain an EXCEL spreadsheet with over 7,000 Lego entries in
it, listing just about everything Lego ever produced (yes Duplo and Bionicles
and lots of other items will be included).  It will be downloadable so that the
purchaser will be able to keep a personal inventory (for insurance purposes) of
the sets they own and the value of each item.  The spreadsheet will be
configured so that the total value will be recalculated anytime a money field
has been changed.  Oh, and the spreadsheet will probably available in English,
German and Spanish.  And yes, there will even be an entry for the very rare gold
(30 produced) and platinum (1 produced) Bionicle masks!

Also included will be a downloadable Lego screen saver, and some other
interesting items.

The folks helping me are 1) Eric Strand (USA/Canada Samsonite Lego), 2) Clark
Stephens (rare Lego parts), 3) Kurt Richter (continental European Lego), 4) Phil
Traviss (UK Lego) and 5) Manuel Cueto (Latin America/Spanish and classic Lego).

Thanks,
Gary Istok

P.S.  I hope I won't upset anyone, but what is the use of producing a reference
document without all the material.  From a reference point of view, Lego is
probably the most complex toy ever produced.