 General / 48665
    Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Maggie Cambron
   (...) Dave! Want MegaBlok anecdotes? Here are a couple: After Christmas I got an Alien Agency Mobile Recovery Unit on clearance and gave it to my 8 year-old. He found it very frustrating because the garbage truck would not stay together but fell (...) (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

        Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Matthew Jeffery
     (...) Just out of interest, did you mean to write Megabloks in some of those spots, or were those complaints about LEGO? Umm, Dave!. I'm not sure what set I own - it came in a polybag which I assume was part of a boxed kit, but was of the (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

         Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Maggie Cambron
     (...) No, except for the Alien Agency set all of our Mega Bloks have come from bulk lots of used LEGO from yard sales, etc. You'd be surprised how much clone material you amass after a while, even with periodic bulk donations to charity. (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

        Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Dave Schuler
   (...) Bummer! I have that set and didn't notice any problem with clutch power. The vehicle has fold-away walls so that the garbage truck can "transform" into a mobile lab, and the wall panels don't hold together too rigidly, but I've been satisfied (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

        Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Jason Spears
     (...) A model that keeps falling apart while I build it is fustrating. A little bit of this is fine, but if it happens too much, I will give up on the model. My own building style leans towards beefy from start to finish. That said, I seem to recall (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

        Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) It needs to stay together the whole way. If it crumbles in my hands while I am assembling it, using reasonable assembly operations (turning, picking it up, etc) then it doesn't matter whether or not it would putatively be sturdy once I got it (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

         Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Dave Schuler
     (...) I can accept that criterion, but if it's a scene-style building set, such as (URL) this one,> then obviously (to me) only a limited amount of turning/picking-up can be expected to be tolerated, during assembly or after. I've had good success (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

        Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —David Laswell
   (...) Instability during construction hints at two potential major problems. The first, and easiest to prove, is that it probably won't stay together as well if you drop it than it would if the pieces had more consistent clutch strenght. The second (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

        Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Dave Schuler
   (...) That reminds me... Years ago I purchased a Syquest EZ-Drive with 1GB storage discs. A friend decried them as an unworthy product, saying that I could lose a ton of data if I happened to drop or step on or otherwise damage the disc. I said (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

        Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Russell Clark
     (...) This same thing happened to me with another clone brick: Best-Lock. I remember being up until 3am building the set with the space shuttle and crawler. When I tried to lift it off of the bed to go to sleep, the crawler fell apart in my hands. (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

         Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Dave Schuler
     (...) Yeah, I picked up a few Best-Lock sets on deep clearance at Target a while back. They don't have anywhere near the clutch power of LEGO or MEGABLOKS, I think because they use a studs-and-slots system rather than studs-and-tubes. It's a shame, (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

         Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —Richard Parsons
     (...) Mmmmmmm. Best Lock are a disappointment - some cool designs and fun models, but waaaaaay too poor in the brick consistency department, and, as you say, not compatible. I picked up a couple of small cheap sets for less than the price of a pack (...) (20 years ago, 6-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

        Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks —David Laswell
   (...) Heh. Most storage devices will lose you a bunch of data if you damage them, but the question is how easy it is to do so. My favorite anecdote on that was how about two years ago some company was running radio ads pushing their ZIP drives, (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)